2000 dodge diesel 3500

coronisaa

hello all i am new. i have a p0366 and a p1690 code i replaced the crankshaft p sensor but it didnt do the trick. rpm and guages will go haywire. i looked at the codes again today but now im seeing it might have been the cam sensor. also my abs and brake lights are on and will not go off. thanks to anyone of you who have the know how. ac

sorry that was a p0336 which does show the crankshaft position sensor problem. but replacing it and resetting the codes and undoing the battery post didnt do the trick.

Sounds like you may have an ECM issue.

well i did find the prob. with the brake light on instr. panel it was the rwal sensor on axle. but i had it at the dealer all day to check the 0336 code . i had already changed the crankshaft p sensor. they told me that when you change the cps you also change the camshaft sensor by the starter. so that is what they are working on now. does that sound right.

I think the crankshaft position sensor by the starter is on '98.5-'99 engines only.
The camshaft position sensor is on the timing housing under the injector pump is on 2000 to 2002 engines only.
I don't know of any engines that had both a crankshaft position sensor AND a camshaft position sensor.
Each provides the crankshaft position data to the computer though.

now that makes me wonder if im getting the run around by the dealer. I know i changed the one under the injection pump. they told me if the other one they take out by the starter has a hole on it they will have to drop oil pan and look at $omething el$e. thank you

I'm wrong!!!
Just found good info. It seems the 1998.5 to 2000 had both a camshaft position sensor (CMP) AND a crankshaft position sensor (CKP) with the CKP providing crank info to the computer and the CMP there for diagnostics.
In 2001 it was changed. This is from Dave's site,
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/ECM/index.html

Back