2000 Dodge Diesel Problems

Brad Cox

2000 dodge diesel problems

I recently replaced my injector pump on my truck and thought it was fixed. Now I've had a problem with it dying out a few times. I replaced the filter and thought that fixed it but it's already died again. Any suggestions?:umno:

Brad Cox said:
I recently replaced my injector pump on my truck and thought it was fixed. Now I've had a problem with it dying out a few times. I replaced the filter and thought that fixed it but it's already died again. Any suggestions?:umno:

Welcome to Comp D! :ylsuper:

Have you checked for codes?

no I have not checked the codes. After the new filter it ran for a day fine and now it will cut out every now and then and start right back up. But may die again just idling.

Have you checked your fuel pressure??? If the injector pump is not getting fuel supplied to it what you describe can happen. The lift pumps on these trucks are placed in a really bad spot and are notorious for failure :(

Brad Cox said:

Injector pumps (or specically the VP44 in this case) are very good pumps assuming a few things are working as they should.
1. Your Lift or Transfer Pump is working with enough pressure and flow rate to supply fuel to the IP.
2. The Lift Pump location is key.
3. Fuel Quality needs to be superior.
4. Fuel Filtration needs to occur.
5. The supply and return lines aren't plugged, or damaged in some way.

So what does all that mean you ask? Well, basically the VP44 will work IF the LP is providing the fuel to the motor / IP. This occurs so that the VP44 never has to operate in a vacum and never runs dry.

You need at least a flow rate of 50 GPH (I can't remember the exact number) and you must have at least 11 psi of fuel pressure post filter at idle. The location is also an issue as the stock location of the LP is not great and it will prevent the system from working correctly over time.

I don't care for DC's fix of sticking it in the tank either as first off it isn't rated to handle diesel fuel and now everytime something goes wrong you need to drop the tank to fix it. Mounting a pusher pump outside the tank with a gravity feed (from the bottom of the tank) is the solution. Our options there are many - most guys find success with the FASS or with the Glacier Diesel set up. That said, there are many other options out there!

That being said you must also regularly check your pressure with either a shop tester gauge or with a cab mounted fuel pressure gauge. No, these trucks don't come that way from the factory BUT they should.

Where you purchase the fuel has a lot to do with how the VP44 will last as well. Purchase only from high volume retailers or bulk sellers. Buying it at another location will only cause problems. The use of a monthly or even every tank fill of a quality lube will also go miles to fix any problems BEFORE they start.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Happy New Year.

your lift pump is dieng or either dead please i say please get this taken care of cause the injection pump you just put ur hard money out to buy an get installed asumming like 1300 or so will bite ya again an quick lots of after market pumps out there FASS/GLACIER/AEROMOTIVE/HOLLEY/ETC

Follow up to the situation:

Truck will die (stumbles/quickly dies). Leaving the truck alone will allow for easier restarts and the longer we let it sit, the longer it runs.

New injector pump is set with new idiot light for <4psi-so far injector pump appears to be functioning. The truck also has a new lift pump on it (week or so old).

We actually went so far as to rig up a separate diesel can to the lift pump with 100% GOOD diesel in it in order to help rule out the issue of junk in the fuel tank, clogged lines to the lift pump etc. Still having a die-out issue. Reconsidering putting old lift pump back on (old lift pump apparently not bad, maybe). Also has a two day old fuel filter in it. Actually blew air back through intake line back to tank to see if maybe we could dislodge some junk in the filter sock. Darnest thing, after sitting awhile , truck fires on first crank and will spit out the rpm's for a couple of min., then maybe stumble once or twice , and quickly thereafter still dies.

Please keep posts coming. Much appreciated.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it or a meter on the wiring and check for pressure or voltage drop . I had a customers truck with a similar problem it would die and you could shut the key off and right back on and it would restart it would sometimes run for a day with no probs and it might die 3 or 4 times in 5 minutes. Come down to it it finally totally quit and it was the lift pump driver in the ecm burnt out .

key the truck off and on three times and read the codes, this could tell you what you need to know. These pumps can be put on with it not keyed properly and it will affect the timing and run like crap.

I actually installed new injector pump as well as primary lift pump. Interesting, but we think that we're headed in the direction of electrical intermittance issues. Checked voltage on fuel shutoff solenoid and this is good, so we're headed back to primary sources of power (a previous post mentioned control module , so we haven't ruled that out yet)Just replaced relays , truck ran for an hour , then died...

Did perform the 3-key function, which led to the pump replacement. Haven't tried this on the recent install, but will give it a try.

Back