2000 white smoke and bad mis-fire HELP!

7inchstack

diesel dork
my buddy has a 2000 7.3 (obviously) with beans 250/100 injectors, gtp38r, custom tuned TS chip, 910-16 valve springs, and arp studs, stock HPOP and fuel system. anyways he was just driving today (easy driving) and all of a sudden the truck started sputtering and smoking ALOT. we hooked it up to a scanner and came up with no codes, it almost seems like its sucking air in the fuel somewhere? i dont know anything about these engines so any help would be great!
p.s. im uploading a video on youtube now ill post the link when its loaded.

A few things I would check.

First I would check the valve cover harness' just to make sure there are no burnt pins. Next I would check the little pig tail that plugs into the back of the IPR valve. I've seen more than my fair share of SD IPR pigtails that have been messed up. Usually what happens is the shielding on the wires gets soft and allows the wires to short out from dripping fuel on them while changing the fuel filter.

If nothing is found, check fuel psi. You will have to make a test port on the back side of the fuel bowl. The port is there, but no schrader valve in it. That's a lot of injector for stock fuel and HPOP. Just my opinion.

And while you are at it, drain the fuel bowl into a clear bottle. May have picked up a ton of water at last fill up. And just check the inside of the bowl and fuel filter to see if anything is out of whack.

Next, if nothing is found, time to go to the IDM. Being in the fender on the SD trucks, sometimes you see them full of water. So if you have found nothing else, you may try out another IDM if you have one to try. But at very least, make sure you don't hear water in it.

If the truck is storing no codes, I'm betting you'll find an answer with some of the options I've given you.

Also, if you can check ICP with that scanner, I would recommend doing so. Just to make sure the HPOP hasn't died.

Okay I'll let him no to check those things thank you! And he's been waiting on a HPOP I guess there back ordered or something. There's a video on YouTube if you type in 6str8up (my user name). It should be on there under 2000 ford 7.3.

Back