2001 f350 runs rough. Dropped a cylinder?

kenaifun

2001 f350, P/S 7.3 2004 Edge Juice, 4” exhaust,
As I started it up this morning it had a miss. And the check engine light came on right away. I just put the exhaust on and it has run great for 2 weeks (picked up 2-3 mpg) I cleaned the air filter on 8/7. It has ¾ of a tank of fuel.
I had to drive to work. I babied it there. I am in a slight panic at this time. I am a very experienced mech. But mostly older gas vehicles, so please do not use abbreviations for components. I used the search tool and it took me down “different” posts.
I have tools to fix, but not code readers.
Peter, Snohomish Wa.

Well the best chance for us to help you is if you could get the codes scanned and let us know.. Otherwise you could be chasing 10 different things and not accomplishing anything.Not to mention spending money on things you didnt need.
The easiest thing to check is the plug for the under valve cover harness. You might have hit it when you were putting on the exhaust,give that a look over.

Still bad

Got home and changed the oil. Started it up ran fine for about 9 miles. It is intermittant, and sometimes real bad. I checked the conectors ...pushed and pulled they seem to be seated. did not completely unplug.
Taking it in to be looked at , and they will tell me what I need. Better than chacing the issue/costing $$$$.

Got an answer

I used 15-40 Dello 400. (spelling)
The diesel shop in Snohomish said it is the valve cover gaskets and wire harneses on both sides. Do I need to replace valve cover gaskets or can I reuse them? ( they dont leak ) $80.00 a side? That sucks!

Thanks for the info on this forum! Gathering info from many posts I was able to make good choices on the direction of my repair. I also found a great sourse for valve cover gasket/harness kits @ Napa. they sold the kit for $ 82.00 each. Ebay has them cheaper but i did not want to wait and would rather support my local shop. Now I just have to do the repair. P.S. I thought that the Valve cover was just a seal! Im learning!
Peter

Again Thanks for the info...
I removed and replaced the Both gaskets/harnesses. The passenger side was in fine shape, the drivers side was bad. One wire was rubbing on a push rod. and the connector had 1 bad pin.(hmm)
I also retorqued the injectors and rockers. None were loose.
I also did the DIY 6637 air filter upgrade. I bought the fitler from NAPA (way cheaper online) I also ordered a slip pre-filter cover.
I Just hoping that with the resent upgrades I get the pay back in MPG!

Back