2002 7.3 turbo power stroke injectors

pmill15

Hey folks got my Orings for my injectors and I called a guy that works on Diesel engines and he said that to remove the injectors you have to have a special tool. He told me he would do the job:cheer: for $450.00 for replacing all the orings of 8 injectors. I have done some work myself on this diesel and can rebuild gas burner with my eyes closed. I was wanting to know if you got to have a special tool and also I have read up a little on this about removing the oil and the fuel from the HPOP and suck the oil off top of the pistons. So what is the hard part and what kind of special tool is required for this job. Thanks

My "special" tool was a small pry bar.

In all seriousness, there is no special tool. Use a small pry bar to carefully pop them out, and a rubber mallet to gently seat them in place.

You can try removing the oil and fuel, but you'll never get all of it. Also some folks suck the oil and fuel out from the top of the pistons. Personally I just removed the glow plugs, and with the injectors fully seated and torqued (and electronics disconnected to prevent the engine from trying to fire the injectors), I just turn the engine over with quick flicks of the key. Usually I do about 10 very rapid bursts with the key to start knocking the fuel and oil out of the cylinders, then do 3-4 long cranks (about 15-20 seconds each) to finish pushing everything out. Just remember to have the valve covers on and bolted down before doing this, otherwise you'll have a gigantic mess on your hands.

I've done this procedure 4 different times on my truck, all the same way, and never had an issue.

If you do decide to drain out the HPOP lines, those plugs under the valve cover can strip VERY easily. So be extremely careful when taking those out.

i would recommend setting the valve cover back on to purge the oil from the cylinders or you will make a huge mess. The injectors are very easy to pull take the hold down bolt out and use a small prybar to pop the injector out.

Back