2005 idle is rolling/hunting when cold

NeilLB7

Supporter of Diesel Power
My 2005 F250 XLT is a very nice, stock, original truck with 87,000 miles on the odometer. It had a perfect OASIS report when I bought it over a year ago, and has never suffered any trouble that many 6.0L's have had, to my knowledge. The original owner didn't use it as a "work" truck per se....just a daily driver to his job. So it's had a babied life one could say.

I've taken great care of it since I've had it...keeping up with the previous owners great service. All Motorcraft filters, T6 Rotella, diff, axle, trans, coolant etc have all been kept up.

Recently I've noticed that, only when first started and cold, the idle will be OK for a minute...then it will drop down a little, pick back up and go a little high, and continue this. If I put it in gear it will slightly surge when it comes back up. After it's warmed up and I've driven it a little it's fine. The batteries show above 12.5 cold...and 14+ once started. But I was wanting to replace them before winter.

Any ideas on where to begin? FICM? Fuel pressure? Or any sensors that could be causing this? I've read a little about surging but that was after being driven. Mine is only when its "cold".

I'm alot more familiar with my former LB7 and ISB Cummins trucks than this "new to me" 6.0L. I know some common issues that they have and how to fix...but the little issues like this, I'm not up to speed on yet. Although I've had it a year, I've been too busy with other things to do too much with it other than drive it when I have time (have a company car for daily use).

This is my truck I'm talking about...

I should also note the idle is not rough at all. It's very normal sounding except for the obvious rpm fluctuation up and down.

Attachments

• MyF250.JPG
    MyF250.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't really know. Probably about 3 years if I had to guess. They are "typical" carquest brand...but matching. I usually use Interstate batteries purchased from my local Dodge dealership. They give me great prices. I probably should at least get some anyhow to cover that for the upcoming winter since I don't know where I stand. Perhaps then do some FICM voltage testing.

Yesterday I drove it and did not have the issue at all. So that makes it even more tricky to diagnose. I also read to check the ICP connection on the passenger valve cover for signs of oil contamination. Perhaps the sensor goes bad and allows oil to seep up through the terminal connection.

I will order some new Interstates. Right now it's not doing it. The other day is sure was. Kinda gave me the goosebumps. All kinds of 6.0L nightmare stories started popping up in my head at random. :D I'll probably also do some FICM checks. I'd like to send that off and get it "fixed" and upgraded also with an FICM "tune".

Check the FICM for sure. Check it while the engine is cold and warm.

Bulletproof diesel just came out with a FICM. Very sweet unit

Back