2006 TDI DSG transmission questions

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
I've been doing some searching on these cars and I am looking at buying my uncle's 2006 VW jetta TDI with the 6 speed DSG transmission. Its got just over 160,000 miles but he has had a lot of work done to it by the dealer over the years including new turbo, new timing belt, head gasket, and I think he said the cam was replaced as well. He said the transmission locked up on him about a year ago so he had the dealer put in a factory replacement DSG transmission for around $4500. Its only got about 20,000 miles on this trans and its slipping already. He wasn't sure if it was a studder in the engine or the trans slipping but after I drove it I could definately tell its slipping. It slips bad when you get on it, but once your up to highway speed it seems to hold ok, it seems to get better as it warms up as well.

I understand how the DSG transmission works, where its basically a manual trans automatically shifted with two clutches for odd and even gears but I read they are wet disk clutches right? The dealer did the install as far as I know and wondered if they put the wrong fluid in or if the fluid is part of this cause? I've read to change it every 40k but this has just over 20k on it. Would just a fluid and filter change possibly stop the slipping or is the damage already done? He said he was gonna take it back to the dealer and see if there was any type of warranty or anything when its not even that old or has that many miles before he sells it.

My question is if I buy it cheaper "as is" is there any upgrade DSG transmissions out there or can you upgrade the clutches in them or is it all lots of $$$? and how big of pain are they to change by yourself? I've heard the dealer has to "calibrate the new trans which is making me wonder if thats what happened with this one that is slipping. I'm planning on just doing a straight pipe exhaust and probably a tune and maybe a trans tune for a lil more pep and mileage. I've read that much more and I'll just run into more trans issues, plus I want reliability with this vehicle.

Another option I've pondered if I can get it cheap enough is a 5 speed or 6 speed manual swap but have read it can be a real pain of course as it usually is, but would it be worth it?

Figured I'd ask you guys since most of you are more like me and like/know more performance stuff unlike most the people on TDIclub. Any knowledge or input is appreciated.

Early DSGs are known to act up. Kinda like the VP pump. The later 09 and newer DSG don't have as high of a failure rate.

There are tuners put there for the gas versions, so I don't see why you can't get one for the TDI.

Good luck if you buy it.

Back