235hp vs 215hp vs 160hp p-pump?

STACKED

Alright guys. I have a chance to buy a 235hp pump off a 98 for cheap but what's the difference in it and a 215hp p-pump. Will I see I big difference from the little 160hp pump I have now?
Thanks guys.

Alright guys. I have a chance to buy a 235hp pump off a 98 for cheap but what's the difference in it and a 215hp p-pump. Will I see I big difference from the little 160hp pump I have now?
Thanks guys.

Uh, someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty darn sure there never was a 235 pump on a dodge application. That being said I know some medium duty applications had 5.9s with 230hp pumps, but they aren't very good for performance.

That 160 pump should give you plenty of fuel. Just junk those full cuts for some SDX comps, add a rack plug, and time that sucker to at least 18*. What turbo are you running?? Whose injectors are you running? What's the hole count and size? What kind of fuel system do you have and how much fuel pressure are you running? What are your power goals? Trust me, the money could probably be better spent on helping your current set up run better :Cheer:

alright then i guess i got twisted up. will i gain anything with the 215 over the 160 pump? i dont rev over 4k so im not really worried about the timing issue.

alright then i guess i got twisted up. will i gain anything with the 215 over the 160 pump? i dont rev over 4k so im not really worried about the timing issue.

Timing will add a substantial amount of power in the 2K-4K rpm range. With your current 5 speed and 4.10 gears, you definitely need to increase your timing to at least 18*, 20+ would be better for a 160 pump.

Adding a $15 rack plug will also add a substantial amount of power when the AFC is modified for full rack travel. I see the rack plug in your signature but what has been done to the AFC?

Increasing your lift pump pressure to 40+ psi will also add a substantial amount of power to your current setup.

Last edited:
not sure what the timing is at, just set it up as high as i could before it starts poping and grey smoking.
i modded the afc lever and washer, no plate, rack plug and slid the afc all the way foward.
right now i just have about 25psi constant fuel pressure.

Keep the 160 pump unless you think 215 sounds cooler, in which case I might buy your 160 pump.

What turbo are you running? Sounds like you have the parts for plenty of fuel... Though you should have higher fuel pressure.

Stock turbo for now. I'm doing this in stages. I just came across the deal and I don't think I can turn it down.
But I just herd some bad news from him. He said the pump fell and jacked the threads a little. Anybody know the thread size or know of a thread chaser for these pumps?

not sure what the timing is at, just set it up as high as i could before it starts poping and grey smoking.
i modded the afc lever and washer, no plate, rack plug and slid the afc all the way foward.
right now i just have about 25psi constant fuel pressure.

With just 25 psi, I bet your 160 pump starts losing full fueling around 2400 rpm and it probably really starts dropping off HP around 2700 rpm.

Bump that fuel pressure up to 45 psi and see if it puts a smile on your face!

yeah im working on the fp issue. i bought a scheid 12v cam from a buddy and was going to put a manual pump with a electric pusher similar to your set up.

Back