241 DLD transfer case parts breakdown?

cummins724

BREAKING $HIT
I replaced a front bearing on my input shaft yesterday & today I noticed that the T-case won't go into 4wd Low range. I think the ball bearings going through the case may have caused this. Anyone have a parts breakdown sheet?

Jamie look at 840K on the schematic. They are shift fork pads and are known to crack and come off. If so the fork will bind on the slider gear and not allow it to shift!

Jamie look at 840K on the schematic. They are shift fork pads and are known to crack and come off. If so the fork will bind on the slider gear and not allow it to shift!

All pads are on the forks & look to be in good shape. If you look at the diagram, on the end of the spring that goes on the rod for the shift fork, looks like a bushing. My spring has a washer there that is shaped like a cup. I'm gonna look closer, but mine doesn't have a bushing like in the pic.

Also, look at the second diagram. #843-2 [key & spring kit]. My transfer case only has one snap ring which holds the keys in place? I'm gonna check closely, but I think that some parts are missing. Which would explan the metal shavings when I split the case.

Be sure you got the correct input bearing, it should be the wider of the two for a 5spd input shaft. I believe it is a 24mm bearing, the auto's use a 16mm bearing.

I just ran into a similar problem when I did my 5spd swap. I have a DHD and the guy I bought the tranny and parts from sent the 5spd input shaft with as well. But ever since I changed the input shaft I have had a problem with the transfer case kicking into neutral and making a high pitched grinding noise.

Well we took it all apart, as well as a DLD from a 5spd and found out that I had two problems. The first problem is being an auto truck with a one piece tail housing (DHD) I had the 16mm bearing not the 24mm that I needed for the 5spd input shaft.
The second problem was the input shaft I have is for a 241HD which is a HD without the PTO gear so the input shaft is an 1/8th inch longer than the normal 5spd input shaft for a DLD and a DHD (w/PTO gear).

My truck is now up & running. I was right, it was a missing snap ring [diagram #843-2] My transfer case only had one snap ring on the hub. I went to my friends shop today & he had the snap ring kit on stock. I replaced the 3 keys & both snap rings today after work & the transfer case shifts better than it ever did. Thanks guys.

Back