~2500 rev limiter

cetaneaddict

Causing my own headaches
A Freind of mine has a 00 7.3 with a 5 speed in it. It also has the ts 6 position chip in it. He asked me today why all of a sudden his truck hits 2,500 rpm in 3rd,4th,5 th gear he says it seems like it hits a rev limiter? Any ideas what's wrong? He said in 1st and 2nd it revs past 2,500 with out a problem. I was thinking hpop but doesn't seem to make sense if it was the hpop. He's tried different positions on the chip and no luck. I'm a dodge guy so be gentle with me :nail:
I also tried google but I'm probably not wording my search correctly. His truck is stock other than the TS

I'm not totally sure. When he bought the truck two years ago it came with it. He hasn't had a problem with the truck untill last week. He only uses the truck to haul his race car.

Check for air restriction.
And why does he rev it that high ? You drive these things and keep them closer to 2k rpm with no problems.

And why does he rev it that high ? You drive these things and keep them closer to 2k rpm with no problems.

I can't, my stock torque converter stalls at 2300-2400 rpm. 3K is pretty normal for me to hit coming out of a stoplight, and no that's not trying to oral either.

I have to second your other statement though, what does the air filter look like? he's not collapsing it is he?

The air filter is clean. He does keep up with the regular maintenance. He turned the chip to stock and doesn't have an smoke or excessive smoke. I know he drives the truck hard. Where we live your either going up or down a hill. So he's always up in the higher rpm range when climbing hills. I have been thinking about pulling the turbo and checking it/ cleaning the wastegate making sure everything is working. I have an 02 7.3 so I am quite curious to see what's causing it.

I've seen where a rag got left in the airbox and was sucked up so it sat in front of the turbo inlet and caused a condition similar to yours.
Will it do it sitting still or just under load?
I've also seen where one of the 4 bolts behind the impeller wheel has worked its way loose and stalls the turbo at times.

4 bolts are tight. No rag or blockages on the intake. I saw a check engine light on. I'm waiting for him to scan it and see what comes up.

Back