2wd rear suspension setup

malibu795

2wd numb nut
i have slicks enroutr 12"iircc cant remeber how tall from a friend i wil be puting screws in the rims
traction bars are in the procese of being made about 60-66" long when all said and done about 6" forward of the rear cab wall. i plan on removeing the over load springs and possible the next imedate spring up ward in the spring pack put 5k air bags to hold the load and maintian ride heigth.

i have found that adding balast to the rear has improved my time at les the 60' times form 2.47 to 2.18 granted the was to different track fontana the slow and irwindale the quicker
all done on 265/75R16
1/8
60' 2.18
8.94 @ 81mph

1/4
60' 2.47
1/8 9.41 @78.9
14.33 @100.75

people have told me put caltracs on.... i dont like them they allow the rear to shove upward and transfer weight to the front........not what i need on a 2wd truck with a 167"wb.
i do have 60gl tank that can by filled and did that for the 1/8 mile time had about 30 gallons of fuel in it about 250 pound tottal

so my question what can be done beside a dedicatd ladder-bar or 4 link to improve weight x-fer

thanks

Any luck with spring clamps while you are without traction bars? Just a thought.

C-ya

spring clamps elminate squat and thus no wieght x-fer kinda deffeats the propose.... another great thing for 4x4......

My thinking was that with a more stable rear end you could maybe leave a little harder with less hop and traction loss and thereby gain some? I'll admit though, it was a shot in the dark as I know very little about racing. Just more or less thinking out loud.

What does your bud Chris (the Neens) do?

Those new tires are probably gonna be a MAJOR help!

C-ya

cris is a drag racer but mainly cars (he has a low 7 sec bbc twin turbo coupe)... he used to run 2wd ccsb dmax at 13.77 @98mph running caltrac cutting 1.9x-2.0x 60' and you could watch him hase the slicks off the line....
there was little to no weight x-fer when you saw the truck launch

who is the guy that run the 2wd stroke lightning that pulls the front off the ground???
i think he runs a dedicated suspension though......

Nah he just pulled the front shocks out of that pogo monster so he could lift the front wheels and make everyone think it's a fast truck lol

duke1n said:
Nah he just pulled the front shocks out of that pogo monster so he could lift the front wheels and make everyone think it's a fast truck lol
got to have traction first

well he would sure beat me in the 60'

shock or not shocks

malibu795 said:
cris is a drag racer but mainly cars (he has a low 7 sec bbc twin turbo coupe)... he used to run 2wd ccsb dmax at 13.77 @98mph running caltrac cutting 1.9x-2.0x 60' and you could watch him hase the slicks off the line....
there was little to no weight x-fer when you saw the truck launch

who is the guy that run the 2wd stroke lightning that pulls the front off the ground???
i think he runs a dedicated suspension though......

Furo racing I believe. Furo evidently does racing suspension from what I gather. Regardless of what was done to it, there is day light under the front tires and that still takes some effort to achieve regardless of what was done to do it. Seems like it 60' in the 1.4s in the little clip of the front lifting. :clap:

Perhaps you could chit chat with Brandon Meyers (bmdmax) since he runs a 2wd Dmax and we all know he has achieved some impressive times with his 2wd.

C-ya

Last edited:
SmokeShow said:
Furo racing I believe. Furo evidently does racing suspension from what I gather. Regardless of what was done to it, there is day light under the front tires and that still takes some effort to achieve regardless of what was done to do it. Seems like it 60' in the 1.4s in the little clip of the front lifting. :clap:

Perhaps you could chit chat with Brandon Meyers (bmdmax) since he runs a 2wd Dmax and we all know he has achieved some impressive times with his 2wd.

C-ya
about all i got out of him was slicks and rims with screws he did like the way i am adding balast to the truck..... havent hear back from him though

Stroked Lightning doesn't pull the front wheels but it does have a 4 link and pulls 1.61 60' times on a pair of 12" slicks.

weweld said:
Stroked Lightning doesn't pull the front wheels but it does have a 4 link and pulls 1.61 60' times on a pair of 12" slicks.

gues i was talking about two different trucks

any info that you care to enlighten use with????

and the long wb i know aint helping me any at all

Your right on the long wheelbase being a totally different animal.

Believe me, I have more hours of tuning in my suspension than most guys have in their motors.

Trial and error.

BTW, my front shocks are not removed, so don't listen to Mr. Duke1n who's so graciously decided to join in on the discussion. He must not have had a NAMBLA meeting tonight.

Gollonbait said:
Your right on the long wheelbase being a totally different animal.

Believe me, I have more hours of tuning in my suspension than most guys have in their motors.

Trial and error.

BTW, my front shocks are not removed, so don't listen to Mr. Duke1n who's so graciously decided to join in on the discussion. He must not have had a NAMBLA meeting tonight.

im not looking for all you info i knwo there is a butt ton of time in R&D im looking for something that will point me down the right path...

Gollonbait said:
From what you've stated, I think you are on the right path.

thanks
i was inform that running slicks required a drive shaft loop....

i know the NHRA say it need to be with in 6" of tail shaft is the same for DHRA or???????

Yes its the same for DHRA

THe 03 Quad cab short bed I run has cut over a dozen runs between 1.66 and 1.69

In fact one of the 1.69 runs was next to Gene (weweld) at houston when he ran 1.67 I believe.

~Wes~

Back