30" FTE resonator install/review

So, with a stack setup on a single cab..will running just the resonator be enough? I have a horrible drone at the usual 75-80 mph with my MBRP muffler and run 90mph on the freeway as much as I can to get rid of the drone. Needless to say mpg # went down.

I'll have to look into this if no one else is running only the res on a single cab.

Where are you guys putting the resonator? The cross member and deep transmission pan get in the way for anyone or further back?

So, with a stack setup on a single cab..will running just the resonator be enough? I have a horrible drone at the usual 75-80 mph with my MBRP muffler and run 90mph on the freeway as much as I can to get rid of the drone. Needless to say mpg # went down.

I'll have to look into this if no one else is running only the res on a single cab.

haha why not drop below 75 and get better fuel economy?

I've got one of the water heater Donaldsons 5" either 51" or 54" long. It kills the drone awesomely....above 70 mph! At that point my 35" Mickey MTZs make the most noise. But below that the drone is horrible around 60.
It used to be that my truck would have a horrible drone in the 70 mph rang but after the muffler it moved it down to about 60 mph.
I wonder if it is just TOO big? Like maybe the engine doesn't flow enough to make it work properly.
I'm going to try one of these FTE resonators and see if it makes my problem go away.

I was wondering the same thing myself. I know that first 90+ mph speeding ticket would definitely cover the price of the resonator.

I was back in MI for the weekend. Around there 90mph is average. So Move north and you can keep the straight pipe ;-)

haha why not drop below 75 and get better fuel economy?

I have places to be...if I was that concerned about mpg then I would slow down but I get irritated when people go under the speed limit on the free way, most of the time they are doing so in the fast lane so...I'll keep going fast.

I've got one of the water heater Donaldsons 5" either 51" or 54" long. It kills the drone awesomely....above 70 mph! At that point my 35" Mickey MTZs make the most noise. But below that the drone is horrible around 60.
It used to be that my truck would have a horrible drone in the 70 mph rang but after the muffler it moved it down to about 60 mph.
I wonder if it is just TOO big? Like maybe the engine doesn't flow enough to make it work properly.
I'm going to try one of these FTE resonators and see if it makes my problem go away.

the resonance frequency of the exhaust system changed to a lower frequency it sounds like

Where are you guys putting the resonator? The cross member and deep transmission pan get in the way for anyone or further back?

If a 5" Exhaust fits the resonator will also fit since it is 5" outside body diameter

here's a picture of the 30" resonator and the straight pipe it replaced side by side

CIMG1682.jpg

That thing looks terrible!! Is it really about 2" on that inside pipe? (My ricer runs a 2" pipe!)

On my '06 I left the OEM resonator in the tail pipe and removed everything else OEM. I installed a 48" Rokk Tech (I hear they are exactly the same as a Donaldson!) and I like it. I don't have any drone unless I pull heavy up a hill around 75 or a bit more. Shouldn't be pulling that hard at that speed anyway so it just reminds me to slow down! If I can, I will post up some pics. I modded the muffler a bit: I made it 'selectable'!! It is kind of nice being able to bypass it at will!! My next mod will be to remove the resonator from the tail section and see how I like that.

Ok, maybe we need a few more pics of the inside of this thing. If it does spiral around the outside then maybe it doesn't add any restriction. You mention cruising EGT stayed the same. What does it do when pulling a hard hill towing heavy?

I run just the 30" from FTE and it works great it is the only thing that worked getting rid of the drone and I can now talk to my passenger .

Ok, maybe we need a few more pics of the inside of this thing. If it does spiral around the outside then maybe it doesn't add any restriction. You mention cruising EGT stayed the same. What does it do when pulling a hard hill towing heavy?

You need to re read post #1
nothing changes but the drone.

LOL yeah, it has an auger like deal outside the pipe. Its not smashing 5" pipe into 2", that wouldnt be a good idea at all. My EGTs are the same as well, and I only have 4" exhaust.

I've been looking at one of these and wondering what other people think for my truck. I've currently got the MBRP 5" exhaust system on my truck with the MBRP muffler on it. I'm wanting to quiet the truck down a bit and wondering if I should try just putting the 30" resonator in place of the MBRP muffler or trying the resonator in addition to the MBRP muffler?

Just depends how quiet you want it to be. Start with just the resonator in-place of the MBRP as it will bolt right in, then if you want it quieter than that, use both.

How much quieter will this be versus a straight pipe? I need a "muffler" to pass inspection through my buddy's shop. Will this keep me from attracting unwanted attention?

It will be going on a 12 valve with a 5" Farmboys exhaust, no existing muffler.

Back