4200 spring install no start

12vChapa

I could not install the spring, so i put everything back together and started it. it starts and idles but dies when i rev it or drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! need the truck for tomorrow!!!!

You probably need to re-index the throttle. Did you mark it and put everything back the way it was? I was messing with mine and did the same thing. I had to re-index the throttle several times and it did try to run away on me. There are some YouTube vids on how to take it apart and install everything. Just make sure you have a board ready in case it tries to run away on you.

Doesn't the 4200 need to be cut to fit? Not sure but I have heard that, i've only ran a 3200 so wouldn't know for sure. But yes it is most likely the throttle index causing your problem.

Doesn't the 4200 need to be cut to fit? Not sure but I have heard that, i've only ran a 3200 so wouldn't know for sure. But yes it is most likely the throttle index causing your problem.

He couldn't install the spring. FYI, I took out the top end screw (not sure what the technical name is, but it is on the top left side of the pump) and my truck ran way past 3200. I never got around to installing a tach, but it would scream.

Why couldn't he install it though? Was it to long? It's just what I have read from people with install problems is they had to clip a ring or 2 off. I assumed that was his problem on the install so just giving a hint if he wanted to search for clipping one to help install it. Yes removing the high idle screw gives more revs. But the 3200 spring made my truck way better at high rpms such as freeway driving. And that was after the high idle screw was gone. I went from around 85-90mph top speed with stock spring and over 100mph after 3200 spring. But also if you put in a 4200 spring make sure you don't float the stock valve springs at high rpms like over 3700.
PS: not arguing just asking.

I thought you were using the size of the spring to diagnose his problem. The 3200RPM spring is awesome. I think I'm going with a p-pump and selling my motor so I get to learn how another pump operates.

Start tearing down the pump top again. When you get to the part where you can see the throttle shaft splines, turn it 1 spline counter clockwise. The slot on the top of the throttle shaft is usually pointing at the 10 and 4 o'clock positions.

Thanks guys yea I did not mark the shaft. But I did learn alot with tearing into the pump alot. It was my throttle shaft that was the problem no runaway.

Good deal. Did you get the spring installed this time and if so what do you think of it?

No the bolt below the idle screw stripped out so it was a fail. when i bench the pump to put the 14mm head ill install the spring. i am bummed bad.

Back