46RE Band Questions

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
I know this is a diesel site, but i've tried a bunch of other durango-dakota forums and can't get any answers.

I've got a used 46re that I just stuck in my gf's 1999 5.9 durango, and I can't get it to quit floating the 2-3 shift. It works fine otherwise.
I've incrementally tightened the band down more and more to no avail.
It's at about 1.25 turns out now and still floats when it's cold. Usually doesn't do it once it's warmed up.

Hoping someone in here has some useful insights to help me fix this issue.

the band is only for shifting from first to second.
it is probably an issue with the valve body or accumalator

have you changed out the gov pressure sensor? also you might want to check the line pressures on the trans.

No I've not changed any sensors, everyone else has said that the band should solve the problem, but has not. I don't have any means to pressure test the thing.

I've got a manual so I'll locate the sensor and try swapping from the original trans.

Thanks

its not the band as said before. change the GPS in the VB. they are about 50 bucks and you can DIY and service the trans while your in there

Ok, have to revisit this thread.

Changed the governor and sensor, from the old trans that was shifting properly, just lost reverse... No change.
It still floats heavily between 2 & 3 after a full stop.
Going down the road, I can punch it down to 2nd to pass, and it will grab 3rd normally, no float. It never slips in 3, there is no sign of weakness other than the float. holds rpms up when coasting in 3 also like it's supposed to. Just looking for some reassurance I guess that the VB is the next thing to do. I'm in the middle of swapping VB's now from the original tranny.
I'll be using the VB, along with the GPS parts all from the original tranny which had no slipping/floating.

Last edited:
@Shughes, I was just trying to get it back to "normal", but since you tossed it out there, what do you want for it?

I got the VB swapped, and while it's better, it's still flairing the 2-3 shift. not floating for 8 seconds like it was before, but it's still there..

I did re-use the plastic accumulator and spring from the original tranny, and noticed that the seals were not in the best of shape. Thinking the next time I have to open it up I'll be going with a metal 4-seal unit. If this accumulator is not holding pressure as it should could this be the source of my 2-3 flair?

Back