48RE 3rd Gear Shift

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
Working on a friends truck with a 48RE that likes to shift into 3rd at about 18 mph. It has a good transmission in it and a tune. I pulled the tune out and it does the same thing, then lowered the governor pressure curve and that delayed the 2-3 upshift but seems like it flares a little. I also swapped out the pressure transducer and put in the GM solenoid conversion. I hate pulling governor pressure out, I am wondering if I should send the valve body off to have it re-calibrated.

Thoughts?

It's a 07 mega 4x4 dually with 3.37s and 35s that he tows with. It needs to hold 2nd to around 25mph or so.

My 05 does this.

John at CRT told me it’s with the TV motor. To play with the timing of that motor or shaft like timing a distributor. Advance and retard the motor to see which way makes a difference. He apparently did this on a 06 truck and the customer was thrilled with the outcome.

Yeah, that affects line pressure. I played with it in the tune and it made a big difference but I wasn't sure if it would be good to drop pressure vs changing a spring in the valve body.

I just got a new tune and will see how it does. I bet it's way better tuning the TVVA.

Back