48re and 4 high

kmkdiesel

Searched quite abit and really couldnt find anything. I have a 48re swap in my 09 so my 4 low is not working yet. I have a sled pull coming up this weekend and I am wanting to pull. Has anyone ever tried ever pulling in 4 high before. I have a stage 6 ats with pcs controller. Not sure if I can go in 2 gear or not. I am thinking I will only be able to go in 1st gear, but my main concern is the torque convertor not being locked in first. 37" tires with 3.73 rearend.

Lockup switch...hit it as your rolling out.

I've thought about pulling 1st high...but gear reduction in low saves parts.

I figured out how to lock it in first. I can run it in true manual, select 1st gear and hit my cal b button and my tc will lock in first gear about 17 mph. Might have to up it alittle bit so I have more rpms when the tc locks or I might end up bogging down. Or do you think I need to lock it sooner.

And the only thread i could find on here saying they pulled in 4 high, they broke the output shaft. Tranny has to come out after the pull anyways to replace the front drum and band.

How come 4 lo doesn't work? I have the same valve body in a 05 and low range works flawlessly without anything special.

How come 4 lo doesn't work? I have the same valve body in a 05 and low range works flawlessly without anything special.

Truck originally had a 68rfe in it, and its electronic shift. The trs sends the tcm a neutral/park signal and the tcm sends a can bus signal to the tccm to allow it to shift into to low range. I am probably going to have to swap out transfer cases and put a manual transfer case in it for 4 low.

Truck originally had a 68rfe in it, and its electronic shift. The trs sends the tcm a neutral/park signal and the tcm sends a can bus signal to the tccm to allow it to shift into to low range. I am probably going to have to swap out transfer cases and put a manual transfer case in it for 4 low.

That dawned on me after i posted.

Im not a sled puller, and this might not be the best of idea's but you could try launching so you spin the tires hard off the line and then when it throws lockup it slows the tire speed down enough to regain traction.

On second though that sounds like a good way to bust some billet shafts. :badidea:

Its not a good Idea
Friend of mine felt bad for a guy pulling in 2wd class by himself. So he enters his 04 CR with full built trans (excluding intermediate and output shaft) He sheared the output and twisted the intermediate that was a $2500 screw up.There is always gonna be a pull you want to go and pull, but the truck is not quite up to par. I would just sit it out and take your time. just my 2cents

My wife broke my output in 4hi. And 1 time i did it i could feel i was slipping the converter bad. With 37s i definitely wouldnt do it unless you had 4:88 gears. Im switching to 4:30 gears over the winter to run 4hi next year just so my trans dont have to shift twice.

Could you pull the shifter servo off and just shift it manually?

Could you pull the shifter servo off and just shift it manually?

Thats what I was thinking today. I have a spare transfer case I might look at to see if I can do that so I dont mess up the one in the truck.

Just pull the shift motor off the transfer case, shift the motor and the transfer case manually, and put it back on. Or atleast that sounds easy.

Should work, you can do that on the ford super duties. I think they both would have the 273 t case?

Yep, I've had to do that a couple times. Pull the shift motor off and take a pliers and turn the top of the round shift linkage towards the back of the truck. Clockwise as you are looking at it from the drivers side.

Got it to go into 4 low. Remove the 3 10mm bolts and pop it off. Counter clock wise for 4 low, or clockwise for 4 high. I just left the servo motor off while I was testing it out so the service 4wd light was on, but at least I know it works.

Back