5 lug dana 70

khaoskustoms

Finally got my dana 70 finished for my dakota. The diff came out of a 94 dodge. I put in a 35 spline detroit locker and 4.11 gears. Measured and cut the tubes to length. Welded on ford big bearing semi float bearing ends. 35 spline custom length axles with 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Wilwood discs. This is the first time i have ever narrowed a diff and i am very happy with the results. Heres some pics.

cf8c17ed.jpg

6eee8012.jpg

4a2fc219.jpg

157ceed5.jpg

39651532.jpg

bc41e749.jpg

Nice! Thats exactly what I'm trying to do for my half ton. Do you have part numbers for the semi float bearings? How are the shafts held in? Who did the shafts for you?

Thanks

I can post up a parts list tomorrow. Ill have to dig up my receipts. The axles are held in by the wilwood caliper brackets. The bearings are from strange, tube ends and axles are from bears performance. The only thing i found was i had to buy a carrier to match the axle splines, nobody makes a 32 spline axle to fit the dana 70 from a 2nd gen dodge.

I talked to the folks at strange and they were no help. I already have the 35 spline carrier and was wondering which bearing retainers would work better the d60 or big bearing ford.

I got big bearing ford since it's a common enough part to find an axle bearing anywhere and my options for brakes was pretty much endless. If you have the 35 spline carrier, then you just need the bearing/tube ends, bearings, axles and brakes of your choice.

That's what i was thinking. Do you mind sharing what the parts cost you? Truck looks great but why did you go with 4.11's instead of 3.55's?

Figured the 4.11's would be better for drag racing then 3.55's for the track speeds I will be crossing the line at. I'm into this diff for $3000. That's new gears, detroit locker, bearing kit, axles, axle bearings, tube ends, wheel studs and wilwood brake kit.

1/4 mile. I'm thinking I'll be crossing the traps in the 3800-4000rpm range in O/D. I'm hoping the truck is going to make power to 4200-4500rpm. Injection pump and valvetrain are good for 5000rpm.

Back