5k govern spring issue.

chevy_man

So i just replaced my p pump with a 180hp pump that has 5gsk. i got the idle adjusted and loved them! they've ran great for probably 3 weeks. now about a week ago they started acting up and when you cold start it, it keeps idleing lower and lower till it dies, unless you let it warm up then its fine for a while and idles at 900rpm. then it will start coming and going, to 700 then back to 900 then drops again, and so forth. that was with 6 clicks, so ive tried and tried to get them to quit and have tried everything from 3-7 clicks and now its worse, it will hang at 900 for a sec then die off. im starting toget aggervated and need help!

Sounds like the gov itself may have an issue not the springs. They have little c-clips that break and can cause issues like you describe. Pull the cap off the side were you install the gov springs and run a magnet down in the bottom and see if you find anything in there.

Well took a break from it lastnight and tried again today, incase i was just missing something, and no such luck. Disturbed i tried the magnet and couldnt find anything. and have adjusted them more, took them out and started completely over, and now anything under 1000rpm's dies. it just seems like it has zero fuel under 1000rpms. because sometimes i can get it to idle at 900 but just like turning the steering wheel kills it! although i must say it does run harder now with this problem? which i really dont understand!

small hijack
have a set of cds springs, seem to defuel well before 5000,Disturbed didn't you have a similar issue and find a better brand?

Well took a break from it lastnight and tried again today, incase i was just missing something, and no such luck. Disturbed i tried the magnet and couldnt find anything. and have adjusted them more, took them out and started completely over, and now anything under 1000rpm's dies. it just seems like it has zero fuel under 1000rpms. because sometimes i can get it to idle at 900 but just like turning the steering wheel kills it! although i must say it does run harder now with this problem? which i really dont understand!
Who's springs and how many of them are there?
small hijack
have a set of cds springs, seem to defuel well before 5000,Disturbed didn't you have a similar issue and find a better brand?

Yep sure did. I find the Haisley springs work the best

I had the same thing with a 12mm pump I have. Had 5k's in it, had zero bottom end, wouldn't idle below 1200 rpm. Give it a quick rev, and the governor wouldn't catch it at idle and it would stall. I put a set of 4k's in it, it would idle, was halfway driveable, but had about the same power as my stock 215 pump.

Who's springs and how many of them are there?

Yep sure did. I find the Haisley springs work the best

I honestly dont know what brand, came off a friends pulling truck, and ill have to get a spring check. i cant remember

I had the same thing with a 12mm pump I have. Had 5k's in it, had zero bottom end, wouldn't idle below 1200 rpm. Give it a quick rev, and the governor wouldn't catch it at idle and it would stall. I put a set of 4k's in it, it would idle, was halfway driveable, but had about the same power as my stock 215 pump.

I might try borrowing a 4k set just to try, i hope its a easy fix because i much prefer the 5k's. i just dont understand why it suddenly acted up?

I'm havin a similar issue where mine likes to idle stupid low when cold but after a few heat cycles it likes to idle up to 1100 then drop to 850 with the Ac on. Then drops to 350-400 in gear. My pump is going on the stand for this issue sometime next month. I have a feeling that OJ clip I found a long time ago is causing my problem.

Good luck with yours!

Prolly unrelated but maybe not. Mine would do similar things when the rack was sticking. Although my springs r stock with 2 clicks.

Ok, thanks everyone for your input. im dynoing it this weekend. then after that i dont mind if i park it for winter, so i'll probably just send it to a pump shop to have them fix what ever it is and bench and balance it.

Back