5th gear on countershaft

Toby Cashion

diesel racer
have a truck making around 800hp that keeps striping out 5th gear on the countershaft. its the part thats on the very back of the cs thats held on with a snap ring. New countershaft from standard transmission of Ft.Worth. how is everyone keeping them together? its about to get welded on if i cant figure this out. thanks

Why not ask tech support at Standard Transmission? Their very knowledgeable people.

Don't use 5th gear when your rpm is going to be less than 1750. Also don't accelerate hard if it is below that rpm. Use 4th to pass people don't leave it in 5th and just punch it. I'm not knockin you man just stuff iv picked up in my travels.

You can weld it on there, but then you will just break the shaft right there.... Thats what happend to me anyhow...

Don't use 5th gear when your rpm is going to be less than 1750. Also don't accelerate hard if it is below that rpm. Use 4th to pass people don't leave it in 5th and just punch it. I'm not knockin you man just stuff iv picked up in my travels.

Exaclty. High torque at low rpm tears the driveline apart. I try not to lite my charger until after 2k rpm. Not that it likes to spool hard before that anyways.

What they said, and Im guessing you are talking about the 5th gear clutch cone ?? Ive seen theme strip the inside teeth out befor 5th gear nut backs off.

have a truck making around 800hp that keeps striping out 5th gear on the countershaft. its the part thats on the very back of the cs thats held on with a snap ring. New countershaft from standard transmission of Ft.Worth. how is everyone keeping them together? its about to get welded on if i cant figure this out. thanks

Which truck, the 92 or the 97?

Stripped mine out there too. Just cant get on it hard in overdrive. I've heard of people getting them cryoed, but I cant see it helping a whole lot.

We had a problem with shearing the teeth of the countersink gear, had updated main shaft etc. All the gears had been cryo treated and never could get one to hold together very long I think we went through 4-5 of them and finally went to a 47re built auto by garmon and no more problems. I know thats not the answer you were looking for but I spent tons of money trying to get one to hold with no success. Good luck man.

Exaclty. High torque at low rpm tears the driveline apart. I try not to lite my charger until after 2k rpm. Not that it likes to spool hard before that anyways.

You oughta try spooling the charger I'm running. LOL

Exaclty. High torque at low rpm tears the driveline apart. I try not to lite my charger until after 2k rpm. Not that it likes to spool hard before that anyways

i agree anything under 2k is a no no it seems like i take my trans out at least two times a year to fix something and i feel like im not that hard on it. if its 97 in your sig. you should be able to do over a 100mph in fourth with 35's

a6898f2d-e65c-9968.jpg
a6898f2d-e693-16d3.jpg

Ya me to just got my trans back together. Hope it holds prob not ha ha

Stripped mine out there too. Just cant get on it hard in overdrive. I've heard of people getting them cryoed, but I cant see it helping a whole lot.

That's what i did to my clutch O/D gear and a buddys, no problems "yet"

Back