6.0 blowing oil galley freeze plug?

John Robinson

Got a 05 that came in dead on the hook, found no low side oil psi & replaced front cover & oil pump...Still no oil psi. Finally found a gally plug under turbo had popped out. Replaced plug & it ran for 5 min until new plug popped out. The oil psi reg looks good. Anybody ever seen this? what would cause it to run too much oil psi?

have you verified that it is actually running too much LPOil pressure?

What Dave said. ^^^

I know the plug he's talking about...to blow that plug out due to oil pressure would be nuts. Maybe try to install it with some loctight and see what happens. the only other thing is that there could be a crack in the casting right there, which would obviously let the plug blow out. There are more than one of those plugs in the engine, 2 more are behind the front cover. Probably be best to hook up a manual gauge and check lpo to see if its really too much pressure. I have never seen one blow out, and we replace them on all the engines we rebuild and have never had an issue. Hope this helps.

I have seen those plugs blow out several times a good fix for them is tap them and install a pipe plug and monitor lpo to make sure all is good there.

not really ... I wasn't looking for the problem until it happened again ...tomorrow we will tear down , replace plug & monitor closely .

Uploaded for John

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
Out of the hundreds I have worked on, I've never seen that. I will look at a block tomorrow to see whats there.

I have seen this happen several times we always when in there take out the freeze plug and thread the port and install a pipe plug 3/8" if I remember correctly and monitor LPO.

Back