6.0 Excursion Head Stud Install

Oscar1017

Hey everyone, Im looking for some advice about installing some studs on a 6.0 powerstroke excursion... I know on the fseries pickups you can pull the cab off for headgasket/head stud installations, but what about on an excursion? Can you pull the entire body off of these? Or is just pulling the ac box and doing in cab best option? Any pointers or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:thankyou2:

Hey, I work for a ford dealership and we accually do headstuds there at customers request as long as its not under warrenty. I have done many sets of headgaskets and studs and i have never pulled the cab once.. now the 6.4's I pull all the time. The headgaskets on the 6.0 are simple IMO.
Start by removing the coolant degass bottle(2-8mm bolts),
then remove the fan and shroud(2-8mm bolts on top of the shroud then 4-15mm bolts for the inner shroud)
then work ur way to removing the alternator(3-13mm bolts),
followed by the turbo(3-10mm bolts),
then get ur wire harness out of the way,
then move on to the intake and egr cooler(handfull of 10mm bolts and the 7/16 for the cooler)
Then remove the nuts and bolts from the uppipes(2-13mm nuts and bolt head is a 10mm.)
once the intake and egr cooler are out of the way remove the motor mount nuts(4-21mm)
from either one of the sides and use a jack to left the engine,this will cause the engine to rock and make access a lot easier.
Then remove the valve cover from the side that the engine is up on(handfull of 12mm bolts) followed by the oil rail(9-t40 I believe)
then remove your rockers(2-10mm bolts per rockers) then pushrods and then ur ready to remove the head(handfull of 18mm bolts and 5-10mm bolts)

There may be some small things i missed but this should help ya out. The biggest pointer i can give you is do one thing at a time and take ur time. Also (make sure the pushrods are in straight when you go back together of you will have a bend rod and a nice miss) Trust me on this one!! Any questions feel free to ask.
Jared

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet, thank you very much Jared. I really appreciate it. So in this case of removing the engine mounts bolts to rock the motor, do you still have the pull the ac unit off?

by chance do would you have a picture of one with the motor rocked over?

Thanks again for your help..

Nah you don't have to mess with anything involving the ac. If you can pm me ur number I'll send ya a few pics that I have on my cell

We just pull the whole body. Not much worse than the pickup and they are actually better balanced. Not having to work over the body is way easier and it makes the torque sequence easier as well. If you don't have a lift, then Justacummins detailed it out fine.

Back