6.0 PSD and 2WD traction

william_04_x

i've made 14 passes in the past 2 weeks and i'm really struggling to get a good launch..i've been told i should be able to just get into the 13's with my trap speeds, but 2.5-3 sec 60'er's are killing me..best 60' i've ever had was a 2.1 which resulted in a 14.2 @ 95.67..

i'm running all weather street tires.."E" rated and aired down to 35 psi...how much are better tires worth? i wanna spray, but i've set a goal of running consistant 13.99's or better before i do (meaning i want to be able to drive this thing)...i'm starting to think that's too much to ask of myself and this truck?

here's a pass i made Friday night...hardly had time to boost..:doh:

that's gonna be hard to get good 60's with that in 2wd with all that weight... i think you can get down to 2.0x with better tires at that weight and power, with that trap speed you should be between 14.0 and 14.1, if you can find another 20hp you can hit 13.99 or under... it takes 466 hp at your weight to hit 14.0, your trap speed shows 463 hp

that's gonna be hard to get good 60's with that in 2wd with all that weight... i think you can get down to 2.0x with better tires at that weight and power, with that trap speed you should be between 14.0 and 14.1, if you can find another 20hp you can hit 13.99 or under... it takes 466 hp at your weight to hit 14.0, your trap speed shows 463 hp

i'll look for a few more pounds to shed....my truck must be lighter than the last time i weighed in..i doubt i'm making 463..IDK..

Caltracs? Slicks?

probably just cheaters for days at the track..my stockers are 265/75/16's..

Get some traction bars and try airing down to about 25psi.

traction bars are definately on the list...i'd try 25, but my tires look scary low at 35..

William at how many rpms are you launching at?

i don't watch my tach Frankie...i'll pay attention next time as to where its at..i always try to take a shot at the tree so i'm looking up...i will be doing more bracket racing than going for low ET's..i know it's not a real race truck..my goal is consistant mid 13's w/ <.2 R/T's ...nothing spectacular, but i want it solid....shouldn't take much spray...

the more i think about it, i'll get a set of tires to beat on...we use this truck for towing our T/H alot...i get really picky about the condition of my tires because i'm pulling the trailer..

thank you guys for the replies...i'll post back with the results of the tire change..

Next time watch the tach try launching it at 1k on the first run and if that is too low go a little higher..You should be able to get in the 13's with your factory tires.

I'm running 1500 RPM's out of the hole and seeing 2.2 60's with my 2wd crew cab. I am launching out of the hole with 35 psi in the tires, I have found that too much lower and my truck wants to spin the tires. Another thing I can tell you is that the tire can make a ton of difference. Right now I have some Les Schwab Wildcats on there and I hate them, my OEM BFG's had way more traction.

Finally it depends on the tune/chip you are running and track prep.My Xzillaraider 160 would send my tires up in smoke at much over 1200. My new box I can launch at 1500. The new box had me banging of the speed limiter when I ran a 14.513. I REALLY need to get rid of the speed limiter. OneStock gave you some good advice, although I'd say 1000 RPM's will be a bit low, start with 1200 and work up from there.

I've got a friend with some slicks that he's looking to get rid of. Problem is he drives a Chevy so I have have to hunt down some inexpensive 16x10 rims.

in my 2wd cummins, I've pulled a 1.9 60ft. I had 25psi in the rear tires with stock tires and stock suspension with overload springs. I went around the burn-out box and did a burn out in front of the box. I launched around 4psi

I have a crew cab 2wd drive and have the same problem. 2.1 is my best 60' and ran a 14.25 @ 96.19mph. The speed shows that I should be well into the 13s. I air the tires down to 30psi and boosted to around 3 to 5psi and it smoked the tires. I am running 305/50r20 yokohomas.

Back