6.0L head bolts

Kerry Warren

I have a 03 6.0L with a 126k miles on it and the truck runs great, the head studs have not been done on it is it necessary and if so what is the best way of doing the head studs? what other things can i check for or are a good idea to replace on the truck

Yes, You should have head studs, as well as an EGR delete. before tearing it apart run around with a scanner and check that Oil temp and coolant temp never get more than 13* apart, If they ever hit 10 even I would say replace the oil cooler. ICP and IPR if you want to spend the extra $.

thanks i appreciate it the advice. Do you have to remove the cab to do the head studs and the egr delete i have been told that i do

thanks i appreciate it the advice. Do you have to remove the cab to do the head studs and the egr delete i have been told that i do

to do the EGR delete no. To install studs it is easiest to take the cab off if you have access to a lift. There are other ways possible but they can be a pain. On my 6.0 I am running an EGR delete and an SCT with custom tunes, intake, and exhaust with no problem yet. 99% of the time Its hooked to a pretty heavy trailer and I run the crap out of it on stock head bolts. I might be pushing my luck though

thanks man. yea all i have is and exhaust and an intake system so far i wantr to do more but i dont want to blow my head gasket i also heard that the 03's were the worst

03-07 all the same. 03's are just older and have been improperly fixed more than the 07's. You can do them cab on, I never have because I have two lifts and I hear its a pain. Some guys can pound the piss out of them and never blow, others can blow them on stock parts.

thanks man. yea all i have is and exhaust and an intake system so far i wantr to do more but i dont want to blow my head gasket i also heard that the 03's were the worst

I have heard that before but its hard telling. I've seen these trucks with 250k on them and never go to the shop but for routine maintenance and others have new head gaskets and injectors before they even hit 100k no matter what year. I never felt comfortable with putting in head studs one at a time, always thought that it would weaken the sealing of the gasket from releasing the gasket then compressing it again but that is just my thoughts. I would rather fix something that is broken than fix it before it breaks because it may last a long time just the way it is. But that is just my $.02

yea the only thing that i know of going wrong with my truck is the FICM that went on my pregnant wife when i was in Afghan but i got good buddies so no worries if i end up getting out im going to have to drive across the country hauling something so i might do it before i leave just to be on the safe side

Back