6.4 Sales Haulted

SAK

I'm going fast mama.
Yep Ford has stopped all sales on the 6.4 for catching on fire. People that are using them on ranches are leaving them running and the high temp deal kicks in and is catching the grass on fire causing the truck to catch fire.

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: ADVANCE NOTICE: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD: Safety Recall 07S49:
Certain 2008 F-250/350/450/550 Vehicles Equipped with a 6.4L Diesel Engine
Powertrain Control Module Recalibration

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2008 F-250/350/450/550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine, built at the Kentucky Truck Plant from Job #1 through March 9, 2007. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL

To prevent the occurrence of excessive heat in the exhaust system or potential flame from the tailpipe, a revised PCM calibration is being developed.

SERVICE ACTION

DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any of the affected vehicles involved in this safety recall. A new PCM calibration is being developed as described above. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided on Friday March 23, 2007 or as soon as the PCM recalibration software and repair instructions are available to support this safety recall.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions have been provided to dealers.

OASIS

Consult OASIS for affected vehicles. FSA VIN listings for unsold vehicles will be available March 21, 2007.

PLEASE NOTE:

Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $5,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory prior to delivery

Sounds like a hot issue....:hehe:

bolt.gif

"The automaker will have dealers upgrade software for the powertrain control module, which will power down the engine under higher-than-expected temperatures in the diesel particulate filter. Similar software updates will take place at the Louisville, Ky., plant where the trucks are built."

great, already starting the "flashes" :kick:

Glad someone had a link cause the my service writer(friend) called me and told me.

Maybe they will come out with a "stack" option to keep from burning up hay fields. :D That is whay they get for putting all that crap on there.

either that or something along the lines of what they use in dirt bikes, like a spark arrestor or something.

I'm waiting for one to pull up next to a Pinto at a stoplight... :D

Its not only flames are coming out of the tail pipes, the excessive heat that is created is causing things to catch fire too.

Last edited:
BFD99 said:
either that or something along the lines of what they use in dirt bikes, like a spark arrestor or something.

Think that would work? I thought it was a heat issue not a spark issue

well it may be a heat issue, but on dirt bikes we use them to keep from allowing sparks out of the exhaust to help prevent fires. it's the only way we are allowed in certain national and/or state forests.

Ummm I'm not the smartest surgeon on call, but what exactly is there inside a turbo shaft to leak out if cracked? And wouldn't leaking injectors leak fuel OUTSIDE the engine and leak on the ground?

I'm sure they will figure it all out in time, but I gave up on Ford back in 2001 so it doesn't matter to me.

George

Leaky injectors, fueled down oil wasting turbos and re-flashes...never heard of such a thing before.

Back