6.5 troubles

ThatGuy01

Hey guys, I have a few questions for a buddy about his 6.5.

Honestly, I know nothing about these trucks but it is a 1998 6.5 2wd and its acting up, sometimes starts up rough, cuts out at about 70 Mph, and the Check engine light will come one one start, the next day or a few hours later itll be off?!!?

He is switching to mechanical injection because of all of this and the main question is if the injectors need changed in terms of mechanical injections already being in the truck or are they electrical?

Any word on this is appreciated, thanks guys.

The injectors were mechanical in all the 6.5's but I'm not sure if the pop pressures were the same. There's an eye in the electronic pumps that usually gets f'ed up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Is there a site somewhere with the original pop pressure specs? Im still in class so i dont have much time to look stuff up at the moment. good to know they were all mechanical though!

They will be fine I have changed pumps and injectors both ways in these trucks. the truck may smoke a little more with the mechanical pump . But you may just need a pdm (pump driver module) for your pump hook it to a tec 2 pull a code off it . Also the sensor on the fuel pedal could be bad and if you change Tue pump you will need a new pedal and cable and all linkage to hook it up ..

But you may just need a pdm (pump driver module) for your pump hook it to a tec 2 pull a code off it .

possibly this. As much as I try to refrain from sending members to other sites the 6.2/ 6.5 is some I have very limited knowledge on. Dieselplace.com has a troubleshooting guide that will help him go through things and determine the problem. it's in the FAQ's

Last edited:
possibly this. As much as I try to refrain from sending members to other sites the 6.2/ 6.5 is some I have very limited knowledge on. Dieselplace.com has a troubleshooting guide that will help him go through things and determine the problem. it's in the FAQ's

Head over to http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/forum.php if you want info from the people who wrote DP's info. After DP got sold out, pretty much all of the 6.5 guys left and went to what is now TTS. Most likely though he just has a bad PMD/FSD(little black box on the side of the injection pump) or a bad lift pump. Also keep in mind if this is an auto he will most likely want to swap over to an aftermarket trans controller as I have heard the OBD2 PCM doesn't work well for DB2 swaps.

Back