7.3 ponetial tow rig

roachie

Taco Master
I starting to consider buying a Ford to pull my truck and other things with. Given what my friends and sister do to thier 7.3's and they still live. I fully truct those engines now. I wont be buying until spring but figured I could start looking. This is what I had in mind.

99.5-03 F350 Crew, dually, 4x4, 6spd, lariat.

I know nothing of hot rodding a 7.3

Been looking at the DP tuner chips. I wondering what supporting mods I need to tow 14K with a 120hp tune? Would I need a turbo, clutch, fuel pump, ect?

Intake, exhaust, and gauges (including a HPOP guage) will be there. Aftermarket injectors are out of the question.

:thankyou2:

I'd look at a '99.5-early '00 since those years came with forged rods (vs. the PMR's in later models) and can hold a little more power without windowing the block.

I was under the impression that with a chip and small turbo upgrade the rods wouldnt matter?

yeah i dont think the mods you want to do will affect what rods you have but a better clutch would be needed but thats probably all you need if your not getting aftermarket injectors

You will definatly need a clutch I have a buddy that smoked a stock clutch with only about 10,000 mi on it with just a dp tuner and not pulling a load.
you will want to open up the exhaust and intake to cool things down. and you will probably what to do some kind of a turbo up grade. the stock ones are terrible about surgeing when you turn them up and try to tow. you could put an ATS ported housing on it and that should take care of it. but you may want to look into one of the drop in turbos.

I wanted to keep the EBV from the stock turbo to save me from buying an exhaust brake. Would an ATS housing and a wicked wheel be suitable?

Otherwise Ill drop the coin for a Turbonetics unit.

I had a 01 f-250 6 speed with a mac intake, 5" straight pipe exhaust, and a ts 140 6 position chip and that truck ran pretty good. I pulled a trailer about once to twice a month. egts werent a problem, and the the stock clutch never gave me any issues. Now i do agree an aftermarket turbo wheel is pretty important because like many others i had some surging issues, i purchased one but never installed it before i sold the truck.

Correct me if im wrong but i beleive that the 01 and newer trucks had a better clutch in them then the 99 and 2000.

go with a clutch, turbo wheel (the wicked wheel is actually the wheel off of the 94.5-97 7.3s from what i understand... those turbos are actually bigger and can handle much more boost and higher power levels... mine has been completely fine and clears up almost every little ounce of smoke with my ~450hp 7.3 and still lives after over 20k miles at that power level... and the wheel is a lot better...), and you should be good to go!!!! i believe early 99s had the 15* HPOP still so good thing you're staying away from that since the 15* HPOP would have trouble supporting the split shot injectors in the SD 7.3s

wicked wheel ats shroud and a must have a turbomatser adjustable WG and a BRV to keep the ses overboost lite from comming on and de-fueling all of which is found here www.dieselsite.com I have ran every thing listed here on my old 7.3 and it works wonders!!

I would just spend the coin and get the garret 38r turbo. DIY intake and 4" straight pipe and talk to Jody at DP about some tow tunes. If your planning on towin 14k in a 120hp tune you might want to look into some water inj. as well.

Ohh ya and a SBC clutch

that should do you just fine.

p.s. turbonetics drop in is no longer available. I would steer clear of any used ones too.

I put the ats housing on mine and left the stock wheel in the turbo and have had no problems with it. I run a ts six positon chip and never take it off the 75hp setting, and have no problems with the egt's. I did have to put a new clutch in, I bought a solid flywheel clutch kit from carolina clutch it has done very well for me.

Back