7.3 problem please help

nickg9785

ok so at work we have a 2001 f-550 7.3 truck has been runnign rough and when you first start it up and drive it, it smokes like a house on fire for about half a mile, white smoke. i did a buzz test and it was saying #3 short/open to high side. and when i did a cylinder contribution test i had a miss on 3 and 8. i changed the uvch's and plugs and checked the wiring all the way to the IDM. all checked out. i even swapped injectors from 3 to 7 to see if the miss follwed, so i put a good idm out of a good running truck performed a buzz test and it passed no codes. so i ordered a idm from the dealer put it in and did the buzz test and it fails. this time for #3 and also #4 and a short to batt pos. now i take another IDM out of another truck. not the same truck as before and it has completly differnt codes. it seems like with every IDM i try im getting differnt codes so i dont know what to believe and what direction to go in. any ideas or help would be great. thanks guys

Are you doing your buzz tests when the engine is completely cold? Engine temp can change how they buzz

I've heard lots of people getting bad IDMs from different places too. I don't understand why it happens so much.

Back