82 mercedes 240D

82benz

loking to get more performance outta my 82 benz 249 D. any ideas????

Look through the threads dealing with the 300SD's, pretty much the same motor.

Look through the threads dealing with the 300SD's, pretty much the same motor.

well... if i remember correctly, the 240 being a 4 cyl and the 300 being a 5 cyl and the 240 being non turbo and the 300 having a turbo...they're not quite the same, but it's beena while since i've played around with them.

congrats on owning the slowest car in the world!

I own 3. what I did on mine, remove intake restrictor/butterfly,advance pump timing,k/n air filter,electric fan ,wax it and eat after drivingLOL Im not sure how much hp was gained but Im gettin 33/36 mpg now (4spd) and there was a noticeable increase in power. Got a 300 turbo motor on the stand now with a hx 35 and eaton m90 supercharger feeding it and awaiting their final plumbing. Im scrapping the 4spd and putting a toyota 5 spd in its place to gain over drive and a better selection of clutches if needed. Good luck :rockwoot:

Im not sure how much hp was gained
Overall, zero, unless you adjusted the pump's internal settings to increase fuel delivery. You made more torque available on the low end by eliminating the butterfly's pumping losses, the K&N doesn't do anything but filter poorly.

An electric fan has no truly good benefits, it adds many potential fail points, stresses an already low amp alternator (55amps) and you should already have an electric fan up front. The best upgrade is the clutched 84-85 9-blade plastic fan. Its light and moves air much more efficiently than the 5-blade clutched aluminum or fixed 4-blade aluminum fans.

82benz, (un)fortunately MB went to great lengths to strengthen the internals before they added a turbo to the 300. A turbo can be added and fueling increased for more power, but adding more than 10-15hp is pushing longevity and internal strength. Even the Indians only pushed it to 90hp after adding all the 300's internal strength and cooling modifications.

If you want more power than an non-turbo 300D, the best option is to swap in a turbo 300 engine. They can handle pretty much anything a sane person can afford to throw at a 24+ year old engine.

Last edited:
Back