'82 VW rabbit pickup turbo?

haz-mat19

My friend has an '82 with a 1.6 that has been rebuilt. My question is he wants to add a turbo and I have no idea on what turbos work and what is needed for the add on. I am sure that the pump will need to be adjusted and such. I would appreciate any help :Cheer:

Im no VW tech but i would be looking for an early wrecked golf TDI or jetta TDI and take the manifolds... there probably very similar.

The TDI stuff is way different.

It will bolt on but the TDI turbos are VNT's and unless you are planning on swapping EVERYTHING from the TDI your better off getting a regular 1.6 TD intake, Exhaust manifolds w turbo and the Injection pump.
You will need the pan and rear engine mount as well as the drain for the turbo goes down between the block and mount. The NA one doesn't have the cut out of the drain.

Go here http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/
Lots of info and a for sale thread as well.
Let me know if you have any question on how to make it fast (er). :ft:

Another thing to think about is that the na motor does not have piston cooling jets in the block so you cant put a lot of boost on it.

Will the NA handle more than 6psi? What's the limit? Inquiring golf carts want to know....

Cool, thanks guy for the info:Cheer:. I will pass it along tomorrow. I really wish I had his truck, it gets like 40+ mpg, he just wants to be able to go faster then 65, and with your guys help looks like he can get there.

Another thing to think about is that the na motor does not have piston cooling jets in the block so you cant put a lot of boost on it.

22psi and 10,000 mi later still running 45 MPG on my 1980 Rabbit Pick-up with the original 1.5L
I have had it up to a GPS recorded 110mph at 7400ft of elevation much more impressive than stock

The 1.7L gas has the same Port design as the 1.5&1.6L Diesels

22psi and 10,000 mi later still running 45 MPG on my 1980 Rabbit Pick-up with the original 1.5L
I have had it up to a GPS recorded 110mph at 7400ft of elevation much more impressive than stock

The 1.7L gas has the same Port design as the 1.5&1.6L Diesels

Thats good to hear, as ive got a TD-04 i just rebuilt that i'll be putting on my '80 1.5L Dasher, and was going to shoot for about 15-psi with the intercooler. I figure if my old 6.5TD could take 18, this little VW should be able to handle close to that.

Run a good intercooler and you can run pretty high boost levels even in a converted NA engine.

I need to find the dyno graph of the NA Rabbit Diesel we dynoed a couple years ago...if you don't look at the scale, it puts all our graphs to shame. PERFECT curves!!

Although it's a whopping 48hp - 68ft lbs to the wheels...stock!

Chris

The intercooler I used was a Spearco 1.8l Turbo Jetta upgrade unit built for neuspeed. Then new brackets welded to it.

I have a intercooler that would work for ya, its off a Saab I believe.
I had to go with a under the bumper IC so I could keep my grill and AC.

I have it listed, I'll see if I can find the link.

Back