85 jetta 1.6 turbo diesel heater control

hemijosh426

honey badger dont care
I just picked this car up, has 95,000 miles, runs great, but I cant get the heat to work. The fan blows, but only cold air comes out no matter what setting its on. When I move the selector for defrost/ac/floor/bilevel etc, i can hear the movement of the doors inside, but still no luck. The lower temperature control selector doesnt seem to do anything. Is this a common problem, and can someone point me in the right direction of trouble shooting. THANKS!

Pull the heater core and replace it first and foremost. They like to blow up.

On the other hand, call the local VW Dealer and hae them run your VIN. There was a recall put into effect for the bad heater cores and since it is a safety issue (fogs the windows bad. I know from 1st hand experience) it shouldn't be expired.

2nd note, back on topic. Run the engine and squeeze the top radiator belt. It might be air locked. Also, if you do the heater core yourself, all of the foam on the flaps to direct air more than likely is gone. Put HVAC tape on to seal off the air leaks.

How is the front subframe? :pop: I have an extra one...

The windows do fog up bad, it drives me nuts. That would be sweet if the vw dealer had to do the heater core and not me! lol. Im gonna have to try sqeezing the hose when i get home from work. Thanks

If the window is fogging and you have a sweetish smell in the car, then the heater core is cracked and in desperate need of replacement.

Back