85 jetta NA Rebuild worth it ?

Mountaineer

Comp D's Doe Killer
Well guys my 85 2door jetta has seen its better days. It has been my daily driver and I do love the car and love to drive it. The engine has somewhere in the 400k mile range and has plenty of blowby and smokes " like a lot ".
It's a NA engine and has the Hydraulic cam followers. The cars body isnt in the greatest shape and the interior is trashed. So with that....

Should I abondon ship & part it out. Keep in mind one side of me says It would be dumb to dump a bunch of time and money into it while the other side says yea do it anyway. Or just get another truck which I kind of hate to do cause its fun driveing the little vw around.

What do ya think?

i say rebuild it. but of course i'm in the middle of rebuilding a 79 diesel rabbit. you could always get a turbo kit for it and you would get some better mileage out of it.

coupes are badass....bring it back to life!!! as a TD!! even if you dump way more cash into it then you think it's worth...you still cant get a car that gets that kinda MPG's for that cheap....plus tuned 4 cyl diesels are badass!

I'm throwin in a vote for rebuild as well.

If you shop around you can get seats for a fair price and even a dash if yours in bad.

A complete engine rebuild should be around $7-800.00 barring anything bad, yes you can spend more.
Machine work will be the most expensive and if you PM 53willys or myself we can get you in touch with a good parts source.

Back