86 VW golf IDI hard start and brake problems

lorendiesel5.9

OG Hunnybadger
Ever since it got warm enough that the glowplugs don't kick in when I go to start it, it cranks for about 2 minutes before it starts firing unless I give it a little ether. I did some research and some say that hard start can be caused by timing being off or low compression. Do you think one of those could be my problem? It starts fine within in say 4 or 5 hrs after being run to operating temperature. Other than that I need ether. Also if I'm sitting still holding the brakes it feels like the pressure bleeds away and if I'm not watching will start rolling. Sometimes the pedal just goes right to the floor. Fluid level is good so why would I be losing brake pressure? Master cylinder? Wheel cylinder? TIA

Brake issue is internal bleed in the master cylinder, replace or rebuild.

Do you know how to check the timing? All you need for that is the valve cover and timing cover off, plug out of tranny, a piece of flat bar and pin. That will get gross timing done, for fine adjustments you will need all of the above plus a dial indicator with the correct metric adapter to screw into the IP. If you plan to keep the car, pick up a Bentley manual for it, they outline the procedure very well, bet you could cruise ebay and find one fairly cheap. It sounds to me like the timing is a bit retarded.

Hope this helps.

I'm pretty much clueless on anything related to this car except how to change oil and drive it

If you have basic hand tools and at least some mechanical ability you can do either of the jobs, just buy a manual so you will have all the steps laid out for you. If you do not feel confident of doing the work yourself enlist a buddies help who can. Where are you located? I might be able to point you in a good direction at least.

I guess I need to get a manual then. I consider myself to be fairly prolific with hand tools and my brain. I live in SE Pennsylvania.

The keystone state is a bit out of my circle of known wrenchers, can't help there to much.

These cars are really easy to work on once you get the hang of how VW does things, they really are mechanic/service oriented IF you just pay attention.

Should you decide you need the timing tools let me know, I should be able to copy the cam lock plate and pump pin fairly easy at work, or I could just give you some dimensions to have your own made.

I guess I need to get a manual then. I consider myself to be fairly prolific with hand tools and my brain. I live in SE Pennsylvania.

Don't waste your on a repair manual, Josh said he'll help you with the turd, I think he's got a parts animal behind the barn. LOL

I would still buy the book.

There WILL be a time you will be saying to yourself "damn if I only had a reference".

Money well spent.

Back