94 7.3L IDI issues

jjb3006

I don't know much of anything about these engines, but I was talking to a buddy of mine who has a 1994 F250 7.3L. There has been nothing done to this engine, it is a farm truck with about 190,xxx miles on it. It has started to blow some white smoke while running, and him and his dad are thinking that the rings are toast, or at least in one of the cylinders. He is thinking about pulling the motor and rebuilding it, but he asked me about what I thought could be the problem, so without knowing much more than this, I was wondering what you ford guys might know or think could be wrong with it? If the engine does need overhauling, where would some good places be to get a rebuild kit or to buy the parts that we would need to rebuild it? I want to thank you all for any and all help in advance.

After talking to him and looking at his truck, I found out that it would blow a lot of white smoke at start up and then would blow some white smoke once it warmed up. I also disconnected the pcv hose, where it connects into the intake and it was blowing out white smoke, and the same thing happened when we took the dipstick out of the tube. The smoke also smells slightly of oil. I'm sort of wondering if it isn't possibly the piston rings that are fried. Just a little more to clarify.

Yeah if your getting lots of Blowby out the Dipstick or Oil Fill, then its prolly in need of a Rebuild

Another thing it could be which was a big issue on the 7.3L idi's is cavitation. Sure would suck if this is the case so I hope its not but its not all that uncommon for the cylinder walls to develop some holes from cavitation.

I am not sure if they still make rebuild kits but I know Hypermax used to have them.

Back