96 OBS, what would you do?

jeremy153624

I just bought a 1996 f250 regular cab automatic 2wd powerstroke a couple weeks ago for 1000 bucks. The truck wasnt running when I bought it and it was semi taken apart, valve covers were off, air cleaner, etc. Nothing to major. The guy told me there was coolant in the engine valley and a shop took it apart and told him it needed head gaskets. He could not afford to get it fixed, hence why he had it for sale. So I get it home and start to tear into it, hooked my scanner to it first and no codes present. Checked engine oil it was oddly clean, along with all other fluids. And no coolant was present. Long story short cranked it over a bit and no oil pressure was building, checked HPOP reservior and it was empty. So I figure the LPOP took a dump. Drained the engine oil and it was a quarter water..... I figure the oil cooler crapped out and filled the oil pan with coolant. Although with my expierience with oil coolers on the dt466s they always pump the cooling system full of oil. Just wondering what you would do? Put a oil cooler on it and hope the bearings are fine? Part it out and junk the rest? Overhaul the whole thing? I dont know im just trying to weigh my options.
Thanks Jeremy

i would put a new oil cooler on it and go from there. i had the same thing on my wife's 01 f250, but i think i caught it in time. and she is still running strong with over 358,000 on it.

i would put a new oil cooler on it and go from there. i had the same thing on my wife's 01 f250, but i think i caught it in time. and she is still running strong with over 358,000 on it.

Thats what ive decided to do, getting parts tomorrow

Back