97 47RE replacing 01 47re

dannyboy

Greetings and salutations from Middle Tennessee. I recently replaced my busted 47re in my 01 Cummins 3500 with a (supposedly rebuilt) 97 47re. It has the old style pressure governor but externally It plugs up correctly. However it wont shift into 4th and maybe not locking up. Its my understanding I need to replace a solenoid or 2? Has any of my Mopar brethren experienced this before?...

Yeah you need the updated gov/transducer. I think the old was a round plug and the new is a flat or vice versa.

You should start by installing correct late 47RE (00 - 03) VB in there. The older VB should still engage 4th regardless of which style gov solenoid/transducer are installed.
Watch for at least a momentary drop in main line pressure during the time that you're expecting 4th to engage.
A continuous pressure drop during 4th operation likely indicates failed OD piston seals. A momentary drop followed by a recovery likely indicates failed OD braking clutches. You can also monitor pressure at the OD test port, but this port alone may not help with diagnosing failed seals.
You can also check for 12v between pins 1 (red) & 6 (brown) at the 8 pin trans case connector during OD engagement.
This oughta at least get you started.

Last edited:
Thanks for the 411 there 1320!!! Any suggestions on how I might check those pressures? I dont think my cheap o scan tool will do the trick?

See attachments....
Forgot to mention that if you're using an aftermarket modified VB or have a kit like the Transgo SKTFOD applied, you're going to need at least a 150 psi gauge for checking line pressure.

Attachments

• 01FSM2294.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 01FSM2295.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you again 1320!!!!. Going to crawl under it in the morning and rig up something to read those pin voltages....

Back