97 7.3 transmission problem

Aaron Loy

I've got a 97 7.3 powerstroke with a atoumatic transmission. It recently wouldn't go in reverse or shift passed 2nd gear. It sat for the rest of the afternoon and night. The next morning I started it and everything worked fine. But 2 days later it has done it again. I'm wandering if this could be a computer issue or more serious. The transmission has never slipped and fluid is fine.

It's now started to slipped unless going up hill and hasn't gotten reverse or third back. I'm checking around at transmission places. It looks like a rebuild is needed to me but I hope not.

Where are you located? I'm down in Port St. Lucie FL. I just had my trans gone through for $1000 with kevlar clutches, new solenoid pack and a dayco converter. If you can get it out of the truck, he can rebuild it. He was a trans tech at ford for 25 years.

Up near Knoxville, TN. I've been looking around and found a place close that can do the same for $1000 but they do it all. So I'll probably take it on over there this week.

Good deal......just make sure the parts they use aren't crap. The last time I had someone do the whole sh'bang they did it cheap but left me with nothing but problems. You may be better off pulling it yourself if money is an issue and give it to someone you know won't use makeshift parts. The converter especially.

This place has been going for about 30 years and gives a one year warranty. They only use new parts and throw in whatever upgrades are available. The truck has 227k so I'm hoping the motor will be alright

As long as oil changes are done regularly and a clean fuel filter is kept in, it should run for a VERY long time. Mine has 350+k miles on it and it runs like the day I bought it. There are a bunch of people out there with over 400k so don't sweat the mileage on the engine. Trust me.

Alrighty thanks buddy. I got it back from the shop today and it's running great

Back