97 7.3L missing & running rough

Got Smoke?

A friend of mine has a 97 7.3L Powerstroke 5spd bone stock except for a straight exhaust.

It started having an intermittent missing issue a few months ago and he has just let the truck sit since. Truck would fine for days or weeks on end, and then suddenly one day without warning the truck would start to cut out/miss and run like total crap.

After speaking to a couple of Ford savy friends initial suspect's are the CPS & IDM. IDM is cheap enough to replace just in case and see if it fixes the problem, the IDM however is not.

Valve covers have also been removed and the pass through harness for the injectors is intact and not melted.

Anywhere else one might check before hand? Going to try and get the valve covers back on in the next few days and see if it runs decent or not.

Mine was doing the same thing. It was the right bank that was cutting out. One day it shut down completely. Turned out to be the IDM.

Mine was doing the same thing. It was the right bank that was cutting out. One day it shut down completely. Turned out to be the IDM.

I never drove it but the day he originally called and asked for help several months ago it had gotten so bad that on a steep hill near our house's he had to drop down to 3rd to climb a hill that truck should have easily climbed in 5th with no load.:poke:

I should point out that just the right bank shut down completely. Manifold was stone cold. Left bank seemed just fine.

I should point out that just the right bank shut down completely. Manifold was stone cold. Left bank seemed just fine.

Wow...well I figure for $40 I can try a CPS and not be out a whole lot. If that doesn't fix it I can take the IDM to my buddy at Swamps to be checked out.

Beyond that I'm looking for advice.

Got the valve covers back on today but the batteries didn't charge enough to crank. Pulled the IDM and shook it to see if it was water filled (which it rained all night and half the day today) and couldn't hear anything.

Hoping to get it started and off to a mechanic friend in the next couple of days. My friend is anxious to see how it starts and runs after sitting for a couple of months since it's always been intermittent.

Got the valve covers back on yesterday, and the batteries were dead. My buddy charged them over night and it started for him today and still ran like **** coughing missing little white smoke out the tailpipe. When I got there the it didn't want to start, after 5-6 attempts I held the starter a little longer and it fired once. It started but sounded like crap so I cut it off not knowing he had ran it earlier for about 5 minutes. The whole time it sounded horrible missing and carrying on. My friend said he tried giving it throttle when he had it running to see if it would smooth out any with RPM, said it only made it to about 2,000 and really sounded horrible so he quit.

Apparently the starter solenoid checked out on that attempt because it wouldn't do anything afterwards. I have the starter with me I'm going to drop off at the local rebuilder if I can actually get off work before 7PM.:soap:

CPS is so cheap I'm tempted to throw one on it ($26 @ my local dealer). If its the IDM well then that's an issue. :bang

Thoughts?

I was on my way out of the mountains hauling a horse trailer with my 1997 7.3 5 spd and it just started missing and some power lose doesnt have a problem starting or anything just had a loud miss and sounds different any idea

Wow...I didn't realize I never updated this. My problem ended up being the IDM, local friend had a snap on scanner and checked it out for me.

Back