98 guages not working

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
a friend has a 98 12v and just put new batteries in now none of the guages are working, a couple minutes after its been running the warning lights come on and then the trip meter starts flashing..
so what to you guys think?
ecm took a chit?

Pcm, no ecm on a 98 12v. Make sure that the contacts on the cluster are good.

My 99 had some weird gauge issues for a while and I pulled the cluster to see if I could see anything obvious, I didn't see anything do I popped it back in and everything worked fine:confused:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Is the alternator charging? Any other issues?

The alternator is controlled by the pcm so if its dead it shouldn't be charging.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Make sure the ground wire on the negative terminal of the battery for the gauges got hooked back up. Just fixed gauges on a 98 last night.

And if for some weird reason the cluster is bad I have a 98 12 valve cluster that's good.

did you ever figure this one out? my dads 98' is doing the same thing.... and the air isnt working either....

This same thing just happened to my brothers 98 12v randomly as he was driving. All the lights in the cluster still work but none of the gauges do. Checked the connections on the ground wires, checked fuses, and the connectors for the cluster it self and everything looks good.

The alternator is not charging tho ... is there anything else it could be other than a bad pcm?

Im also having a issue with my fuel gauge did the sending unit nothing. Then pulled the cluster to check saw nothing plugged it back in then it worked then stopped like 30 minutes later??? I don't mean to steal the thread but sounds similar?

The main engine wiring connection in the fuse block under the hood with a 10mm bolt in the center tighten it up and u should b good to go

after trying to use a scan tool and it not being able to find the pcm we sent it out to be rebuilt ... came back after being tested and rebuilt and still had the same issue. Tried pulgging the newly rebuilt pcm into another 98 12v and it worked perfectly ... the problem turned out to be a shorted out tach sensor. Replaced the tach sensor and now it works like new again.

If the tach is the issue unplug it and the alt should start charging and the rest of the cluster but the tach should work when you start the motor.

The alternator will not start charging with disconnected tach sensor .

The alternator will not start charging with disconnected tach sensor .

This. Even on my '99, the cluster doesn't work until it picks up tach signal. As soon as ECM picks up tach, gauges come to life and the alternator starts to work.

Back