98 new beetle tdi won't run

bd blk 12v

Fixen broken bulldogs
Hello guys and gals. I purchased a 1998 new beetle tdi 5 speed. It has 184 k on it. The body is good and ok condition. I paid $550. The issue is it cranks slow tries to start and as soon as you let the key to run position it's like you turned the key off. The guy who had it drove it 90 miles daily. He had some ac work done to it at a shop drove it home and wouldn't start. He decided he didn't want to mess with it. I checked the 109 relay its gray. Anyone has an idea I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

Generally I've noticed if the 109 relay is bad the glow plug light will not illuminate. But I've also saw it not illuminate the glow plug light/no start from fuses being blown as well. I'd check the fuse panel on the drivers side dash and check them as there are a few that will (don't recall the numbers) that will cause them to not start. Also I've seen the anti shutter valve (right were the rubber intercooler boot hooks to intake) either stick shut or vaccum lines plumbed incorrectly and kills it when engine makes vacuum but generally when that happens they spin over fast and sounds like there is no compression due to not getting air. Check those hopefully that will get you started in the right direction

Being that he drove it home and then it didn't start this also comes to mind as well. I've seen if the large idler pulley fails in the timing belt system the cam and crank will stay lined up but it will through the pump timing off just enough get it to run home but once it shuts off it will not restart (not sure if it was designed that way or not just an observation I've made with a couple cars I've saw this happen to) if you pull the timing belt cover back you will notice the belt is slack if this the case. Hope you get it figured out

The glow plug light does come on. The engine cranks slow. I tried an optima red top in it and it still cranks slow. It has 184k on it and probably the original starter. Do these starters fail often? It's my first tdi. I don't have much in it.

I have also seen were when the starter goes up the parts store has two options ones way cheaper and ment for a gas car and they bolt in and look similar but it doesn't have the a** to get the diesel spinning fast enough that may be the case I've seen that issue more then a little bit and may be your issue as well.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to pull the starter and have it tested. I will get the correct diesel manual trans starter and hope it works out.

I got it to start up. I was going to pull start it and installed the battery. I saw it had a junky corrosion ring on the ground cable. I pulled it off and hooked the cables tight. My brother went to the store and I was waiting. It was 28* outside I got in the car waiting for him and thought I would give it a try. I hit the key it fired up and died. I glowed it a couple times and tried it again. She roared to life. The injection pump is dripping and the ac compressor clutch is screwed badly. Other than that she runs good.

Back