986 IH turnup?

98Slushbox

Can anyone tell me how to mod the pump or if there is anything to do to a 986 IH? thanks,
Lance

Take the 4 screws out of the top cover of the injection pump,loosen the jam nut and move the stop towards the front of the engine. Next look deeper down in the pump on the arm that hits the stop you just adjusted and loosen the jam nut and back out the droop screw...You can make 250 hp pretty easy and safely.

250hp on a 986? dang, wonder if my dad would notice that?? haha So if i just make a small adj. it will make a small difference? thanks fellas

Since the 986 isn't turbocharged, you don't want to go very much because it will run hot and the non-turboed engines don't have oil jets squirting the bottom of the pistons.

Since the 986 isn't turbocharged, you don't want to go very much because it will run hot and the non-turboed engines don't have oil jets squirting the bottom of the pistons.

x2 :badidea:

Turn it up a little for now... Then when it comes time for an overhaul simply pick up a set of oilers (the passages are there, they're just plugged off), a 1486 rebuild kit (different pistons), a turbo manifold, and a turbo. I would personally suggest something more like an HX35/40 rather than the T04 or 3LM that came stock on these. You would have cooler charge air temps at 200hp... The Holsets aren't anywhere near their choike points while the T04/3LM tend to limit things to somewhere in that 230-250hp range due to the fact that they just cannot move the air.

That or get a garret turbo off of a 466 truck application. Unless of course you plan on pulling it and the rules state stock (or stock replacement) Ag application turbo... Then go with the 3LM; otherwise have fun and don't go overboard.

should have read first.... didnt notice it was a 9...you can get around an extra 40 or so hp

Dad had a 5288 with an inline pump and Hx40 on it and it put down 230hp on a PTO dyno.

Dad had a 5288 with an inline pump and Hx40 on it and it put down 230hp on a PTO dyno.

Probably ran better than all the other tractors making 230 with the 3LM and TO4s too..

I miss that tractor.

I bet... I still wish dad would let me play with the 886. I found out that the Ag 360's and the truck 360's have different bore/stroke. Ag crank with truck sleeves takes it to about 400 cubes and a call to Ross takes care of pistons :D

Back