About to buy my first Duramax. Any thoughts before I waste my money?

turbodon

Alright
So I just sold my compound turboed 97 Dodge 12 valve tonight.

I've been wanting to get into something newer nicer and more comfortable for a while.

I have the opportunity to pick up an 03 chevy 4x4 extra cab long bed with 90,000 miles on it.

It's my moms truck and shes the original owner.

I was a big cummins enthusiast, but I just dont have the time and money to wrench on my vehicles like i used to.

Im hoping to gain reliability by going to the newer truck and hopefully just drive it and put gas in the tank and do oil changes.

Its bone stock.
Ideally I'd like to level it, put 285s on the stock hd alloys.put an exhaust, some gauges and a mild chip or programmer on it.

What do you guys think.
Are these a good year or should I save more and get an 06 or something?

I've got an 02 and they're exactly the same engine, you won't regret it when you see tank after tank at 18+mpg, the only downside is the injectors but that situation can be somewhat remedied by good filtration.

Go for it. Put on an Air Dog, and run some fuel additive. I've been running Diesel Kleen and 2 stroke oil.

See if its had a set of injectors put in it yet. If not, plan on putting a set in before you hit 150,000 miles

I never got 18 mpg in my lb7 it is 4x4 crew short. My dually dodge beat it mpg wise all the time. Now my ford is the worst 14 mpg so far. I do like the duramax on the highway, damn nice pulling and nice riding truck.

I'm going on a road trip tomorrow hunting hogs in GA. Ill hand calculate my mpg and post up. I got 23.5 on 285s last year so I guess we'll so what going to 305s does this year.

Right on.

It's looking like I'm going to be taking over ownership here soon.

How are the PPE programmers?

I know a lot of ppl run EFI live. It's looks like it has every bell and whistle. but honestly I dont want to get very extreme.

Dont wanna to be building trannys or swapping turbos or any of that anymore.

Level 2 with 90 extra hp and 160 torque sounds pretty nice.

I say go for it! Other than injectors and maybe the fpr you don't really have much to worry about with a bone stock truck. Get an Air Dog and a used or new can tuner I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Right on.

It's looking like I'm going to be taking over ownership here soon.

How are the PPE programmers?

I know a lot of ppl run EFI live. It's looks like it has every bell and whistle. but honestly I dont want to get very extreme.

Dont wanna to be building trannys or swapping turbos or any of that anymore.

Level 2 with 90 extra hp and 160 torque sounds pretty nice.

PPE makes an awesome tuner for the dmax trucks. Their 160 tune is still one of my favorite tunes ever. If you dont want to dick with Efi Live, then the PPE is the next best thing.

I'm going on a road trip tomorrow hunting hogs in GA. Ill hand calculate my mpg and post up. I got 23.5 on 285s last year so I guess we'll so what going to 305s does this year.

Well I got 24 on the way down and 20.5 average during the weekend and otw back. Needles to say our overall speed coming back was slightly higher.... That 135 Mph run against a M3 probably didn't help either. LOL

I'm very happy with my '01... But it is now pretty far from stock!!! But it is still a very fun truck. I need to get the A/C fixed this summer for sure...

24 MPG is great! My ECLB gets about 17 MPG on the freeway running at around 75 or so even with the huge and heavy 37x12.50R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs mounted on true beadlock KMC Enduro wheels. I hope to pick up a little mileage when I build the bumper and skidplate. I will also be changing to 4.56 gears soon and am very curious what the MPG will be and what my freeway cruising RPM will be. I may have to do the 6-speed transmission upgrade to drop the RPMs some on the freeway...

To the OP look into the Fleece Performance Engineering TapShifter for the truck to take full control of the transmission and you probably also need to install the Merchant Automotive or PPE Pump Rub kit in the transfer case as they wear through from the factory...

alright cool.
I'll check into that.
I was planning to give PPE a call after the holiday weekend.
They are about 20 mins away from where I live so that always helps in dealing with a local shop.

Curious as to how high they say the tuner can be turned up on the stock tranny.

I have been driving this thing for the last few days and its kinda turdish compared to my dodge. but hey that was to be expected.:lolly:

Back