ABS and Brake light on all the time.

Something wrong with the abs system. You should be able to pull codes. It could be a wheel speed sensor,fuse or abs pump problem....It will not clear the code it self, you will need a scanner to clear it.

Something wrong with the abs system. You should be able to pull codes. It could be a wheel speed sensor,fuse or abs pump problem....It will not clear the code it self, you will need a scanner to clear it.
I tried pulling codes by cycling the key twice but I only get the vp missing code.

What kind of scanner do I need?

you will have to find one that will read the ABS module. the key cycle only reads codes in the ECM. I think any of the snap on scanners will do it

its not low on brake fluid is it?

Last edited:
you will have to find one that will read the ABS module. the key cycle only reads codes in the ECM. I think any of the snap on scanners will do it

its not low on brake fluid is it?
Nope I changed the fluid yesterday hoping that would fix it. They don't always stay but its getting more constant that they stay on.

for the record I wasnt trying to make ya sound stupid or anything. low fluid will cause the brake light to come on, and a lot of times its stuff like that is overlooked

for the record I wasnt trying to make ya sound stupid or anything. low fluid will cause the brake light to come on, and a lot of times its stuff like that is overlooked
Its fine I didn't take it that way.

when i had this issue t was the speed sensor in the rear diff...before the pump swap FWIW

Since you are P-pumped and you have the absence of an ECM.....have the lights been on since you p-pumped it? I got this when I put on a new ECM with the incorrect VIN programmed into it. The codes told me "VIN in ECM doesn't match VIN in ABS." I had ECM reprogrammed and it went away. Could this help you out?

when i had this issue t was the speed sensor in the rear diff...before the pump swap FWIW
Ill check that I've replaced it once before when it wasn't bad so I got a extra sensor.

Thanks

Since you are P-pumped and you have the absence of an ECM.....have the lights been on since you p-pumped it? I got this when I put on a new ECM with the incorrect VIN programmed into it. The codes told me "VIN in ECM doesn't match VIN in ABS." I had ECM reprogrammed and it went away. Could this help you out?
It didn't start till after the swap. But at first they wouldn't stay on for long, just a few minutes her nd there. Now their on all the time.

My truck did sit for 8+ months during the swap so I expect some stuff to break.

So I went to the parts store and used their scanner. Not codes came up, the lights went off on the way over here.

Is that the wrong type of scanner?

Back