ABS speedo issue - need some ideas - get in here !

johnfak

So - here's the story.

Bought the truck with ABS light on. After replacing the rear sensor figured it was the front sensor as the hubs looked a little rough with rust etc. Replaced those quite a few months later and no change. Since I live in FL wasn't too concerned with ABS so kept on trucking.

Out of nowhere lost speedo.

After going through a bunch of ohms testing of wiring, various scanners and chats with people pretty much figured out the only thing it could be was the ABS Control Module. I switched out about 2 of these from junk trucks and didnt alter anything. The 3rd one gave me a speedo signal back and turned off the brake light (ABS remains on) - but only when I got over about 30mph ...... and then it works flawlessy (no jumps etc) ... basically perfect speedo over 30MPH.

Inbetween sent the original off to 2 rebuilders 2 times each....... nothing changed - each time it was reseated the brake and ABS lights remained on and the speedo was dead.

So - It leads me to think my original is TOAST even after rebuild ..... but I cant quite figure out how to diagnose further. My best option I think is buying a NEW MOPAR replacement part 5015529AC for $440 and seeing if that works but really dont want to throw good money chasing bad unless its final choice or some better idea of whats going on ?

So some questions ......

1) IF I buy the new part - does it need to be flashed for the VIN or anything - who can tell me the answer to this - would alldata or something specifiy ? Or can I simply put it on the truck.

2) I did notice that if I seat the rear sensor too tight with the 'junk' module ... I will lose SPEEDO on that also. Loosening the rear sensor bolt or placing a very small shim/washer basically gives me the full SPEEDO at over 30MPH. Is it possible some alignment issue with rear gears ? Wouldn't have thought so as it just a sensor along the tooth grooves of the rear gear.

3) Any other ideas ? Would appreciate them.

thx
John

Anyone got access to ALLDATA or similar and can lookup replacement of the ABS controller module ?

Any instructions that it requires flash ?

thanks

In for info. I'm driving a 98 1500 right now with no speedo under 30 and abs and brake light on. When I researched the problem, I read it was most likely the sensor in the rear end, the tone ring on the differential , or a fuse

In for info. I'm driving a 98 1500 right now with no speedo under 30 and abs and brake light on. When I researched the problem, I read it was most likely the sensor in the rear end, the tone ring on the differential , or a fuse

Sensor was been replaced 2 times :)

Tone ring --- Apart from checking the teeth - not sure how to tell alignment issue. I would expect in either case that would cause intermittent signal lose and the speedo would behave erratic.

Fuse - would have to cause complete loss of signal. Or at best erratic as well.

Bump

Can someone pull all data or equivalent on CAB abs module replacement .....

Any flash required ?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have reasons to believe the ABS module needs the VIN flashed into it, but cannot confirm.

I know you can take a module from certain trucks and it will work on other trucks .... not locked by VIN......

But I don't know if that is only for certain years.

Also if a NEW module needs to be programmed or not.

Yes. It needs to be reflashed to your VIN number. I am having the same problem and that's the only thing that I haven't done yet.

Flash the VIN into all the modules. PCM and ABS. They will give all sorts of problems if you don't. Been there with a similar problem ABS related on my earlier trucks and a few customers as well. Flashed the VIN into it..... all gone for me. At the very least with a DRB3 you will see what is going on with the abs unit and whether it is a communications issue or what not.

As stated a few times before me.

These are late model trucks..... not the era before computer controls.

Last edited:
Flash the VIN into all the modules. PCM and ABS. They will give all sorts of problems if you don't. Been there with a similar problem ABS related on my earlier trucks and a few customers as well. Flashed the VIN into it..... all gone for me. At the very least with a DRB3 you will see what is going on with the abs unit and whether it is a communications issue or what not.

As stated a few times before me.

These are late model trucks..... not the era before computer controls.

Assuming the dealer is the only way to have the flash done ? Via DRB ?
Only mechanic I know with DRB is around 90 mins away ....... dealer was pretty useless last trip around.

Rechecked all wiring .... all fine
Bought a 3rd sensor .... mopar .... no difference

Pulled the rear diff ..... fluid was pretty bad ..... does the gear ring teeth here look normal .... dana 80 ...

[ame="http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/fakdaddy/media/truck/20150905_151601.jpg.html"]20150905_151601.jpg Photo by fakdaddy | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame]http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t430/fakdaddy/truck/20150905_151608.jpg[/ame]

[ame]http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t430/fakdaddy/truck/20150905_152901.jpg[/ame]

good pics..that tone ring is junk

whare ya at in fl?
St petetsburg ... closer to west side
:cool:

Here's one thing I don't get though ..... why would I still get consistent signal over 30 mph ..... no jumping ... why would the tone ring only impact lower speed ..... must be impacting the low voltage somehow ?

How hard to replace .... never been any further into a rear diff .....

Assuming ..... Remove chuck and axle cclip. ... pull axle .... remove and replace tone gear ..... put everything back and new axle seal ....

However got to work out why it came off alignment and how far off I am .....

So looks like the exciter tone ring pressed onto carrier. Will have to be removed and new one pressed on ......

If there is any damage to the carrier or any gears may just put a rear detroit locker

I had a similar issue, if I remember right I had to replace a sensor that was either in my transmission or transfer case and that worked for me. I had the ABS and "Brake" lights on and no speedo until about 45.

Back