add a turbo vs 2nd gen swap

scarecrow734

still learning
pretty sure i know the answer to this but i figure id ask anyway. my truck is a 06 5.9 2500 megacab on 37" tires with 4.56 gears and 50hp injectors from flux and a firepunk comp 1 trans and byond that its pretty much stock. i have been going to w.v. , kentucky and tennessee from pa a couple times a year towing a 20ft enclosed trailer with 1 sxs in it but will be increasing that to a 30ft enclosed trailer with 2 sxs`s in it. the hills on the highway are taking its toll on the truck as it seems to really slow the truck down and increase egts a good bit. i know a add a turbo kit would be ideal but can a 2nd gen swap do it just as well or is there no comparision between pulling what i will be pulling between compounds vs a 2nd gen swap? for the add a turbo kit i was looking at power driven diesel and pusher kits. i havent looked to much into the 2nd gen swaps. i dont have a set hp in mind that i have to have i just want a good reliable driver that can pull my trailer with a care in the world but still get a little rowdy when i want it to. i know i will need other supporting mods like valve train , studs and better fueling. does anyone have feedback between power driven diesel or pusher?

In my opinion, just a second gen swap isn't going to improve towability in and of itself.
I think money would be best spent on the twin kit.

Look at the video power driven did with his 06. Stock turbo with I believe a S475 on top of it.

saw that. i like his setup but its been on backorder for over 1 year.
Call and talk to them at PDD. Only item that was an issue last time I called was a coolant line for the automatic trucks. If you have a coolant bypass or a manual trans, they could have the kit out in a week.
I too am on the fence about adding another turbo. The truck needs it, I'm just being tight with money being the truck pulls decent as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back