adding auxilary fuel tank

dmax84

Wet Behind the Ears
I probably shouldn't be putting this out there, but i've been planning on adding an auxilary tank in my bed and running farm diesel. Yes I know its a big no no, but its cheap.

I planned on getting a second ppe pump and y it into my existing fuel line before the filter, and then putting both pumps on a switch inside the cab. I was wondering if these pumps have a check valve inside that won't allow the on-road diesel to flow into the off-road diesel (vice versa).

Another idea I had: I know the early fords(90's) had 2 fuel tanks with 1 switch that went back and forth, I didn't know if I could get that too work.

I know some of u guys have done this and most have thought about it.
Let me know what you all think.

One thing to keep in mind is DOT dose have sniffers these days. Bunch of the rodeo guys just got busted doing the same thing. They didnt even have to dip the tanks just put this little thing in the exhaust and started writing tickets. Not that i havent run a few tanks of the ruby red through myself but not a ticket i want to pay :/

Another idea I had: I know the early fords(90's) had 2 fuel tanks with 1 switch that went back and forth, I didn't know if I could get that too work.

Fords and Chevys both did dual tanks. On the one's I owned back then they had both suction and return lines in the diverter valve to keep the fuel in the correct tank.

Fords and Chevys both did dual tanks. On the one's I owned back then they had both suction and return lines in the diverter valve to keep the fuel in the correct tank.

I'm not too familiar with them. Do they run off 1 pump? If so then all I would really need is that diverter valve??? right??

I just have my auxilary tank set up yo gravity feed into the stock tank. Northern tools selld a kit for like $65. Works great for me. I don't know about sniffers here in Florida. I do run all type of crappy fuel thru my truck. Red, tranny, fluid, motor oil. Basically I just filter everything down to 1 micron and cut the waste oil with diesel. I only put about 25% in a a time.

Feeding the red is easy. The hard part will be making sure the red returns to the red tank. If you try to use the stock return you'll fill your regular tank with red, and much more of it then the tank can hold.

I had a couple of mid 80s chevys that had dual tanks. They used one lift pump (mounted on the engine) and a valve assembly to control where the fuel comes from and where it returns to. Ford used the same type of system.

Is your current lift pump mounted in the tank?
If not you could probably use a pair of 3 way valves to direct where the lift pump is supplied from and where the return goes.

I would also use a tank that has a nozzle and pump mounted on it so at least it looks like its intended for filling equipment.

Feeding the red is easy. The hard part will be making sure the red returns to the red tank. If you try to use the stock return you'll fill your regular tank with red, and much more of it then the tank can hold.

I had a couple of mid 80s chevys that had dual tanks. They used one lift pump (mounted on the engine) and a valve assembly to control where the fuel comes from and where it returns to. Ford used the same type of system.

Is your current lift pump mounted in the tank?
If not you could probably use a pair of 3 way valves to direct where the lift pump is supplied from and where the return goes.

I would also use a tank that has a nozzle and pump mounted on it so at least it looks like its intended for filling equipment.

Right now i have one ppe pump. My plan was to buy a second and put check valves in each line to ensure no mixing of the fuel, and yes I have a pump to go on my auxilary tank to make it look like it is being used properly. :hehe:

Will this work or do you think the 3 way valves would be a better way to go?

Good, they way that other people just run it through the stock tank had me wondering if people had really thought the whole thing through :doh::hehe:

Either way should work. The two pumps would probably be less prone to air leaks but also more expensive. You'll still need at least one valve for the return either way.

One thing to keep in mind is DOT dose have sniffers these days. Bunch of the rodeo guys just got busted doing the same thing. They didnt even have to dip the tanks just put this little thing in the exhaust and started writing tickets. Not that i havent run a few tanks of the ruby red through myself but not a ticket i want to pay :/

:bs:
there is SO much BS floating around about "sniffers" that its ridiculous, i have driven truck for 3 years commercially and have NEVER seen this elusive "sniffer", NOBODY has anything that can detect the dye out of the exhaust, red fuel is regular diesel with a DYE in it to make it red, it is not chemically blended to produce a different smell or whatever other BS that people make up, the police cannot dip your tank, they cant dip random tanks in a parking lot, they cant pull you over simply to dip your tank, and neither can the DOT.

Last edited:
and if the above statement about the rodeo guys getting busted is true, i assume ALL of those trucks were running when the test was given?:umno: i also assume that whoever was doing the "sniffing" were IRS agents? since running red dye is a TAX offense and not a DOT violation? if they WERE commercial vehicles that were ticketed thats a different thing entirely. but im gonna call BS, my uncle is a DOT officer so im not just talkin out my ass here

Back