after 4k gsk problems

FP3

alright, ive been searching, searching and searching, but have not really come up with any answers. i installed my 4k's and after that it only built 10-15lbs of boost and falls flat on its face after half throttle. so i moved the fuel plate up(foward) and the boost came back, and the power is MUCH BETTER but it still falls flat on its face and starts creating a bunch of heat after 1/2 throttle. ive moved the plate either direction and the heat either gets worse or it looses a bunch of power. the springs are at initial click + 3.
my truck is a 98 12v with a hx35, ats 3 pice, 191's, custom poncie fuel plate, and now 4k's with 60# valve springs.
let me know what you guys think may be up
thanks!!!
pat

Last edited:
Check to be sure all the stock spacers n what not are removed. I have 7 clicks on mine lol so you may need a couple more.

What's your timing and fuel pressure at? Also, how much boost are you seeing? You might be choking the engine with that little turbo.

sorry, forgot to list timing. 17.5*. i took a quick un-exact mesurement and 3 clicks was about the right mesurement. went to 4 clicks and the throttle was waayyy to touchy for my likes. i dont remember the exact fuel pressure but it was over 20 at idle at wot no load. i think i may just be chocking that stupid little turbo, may throw the 181's back in for a bit while i build my twins, just kind of scared to put them in as im not 100% sure on whats done to my trans. was told when i bought it but have no proof.
thanks!!
pat

the touchy throttle is nature of the beast with these gov spring kits. did you have to adjust your idle to bring it back up after the install? imo you shouldn't have to touch the idle adjustment if you install the gsk right. The two kits I did I had it so the idle was at 900 rpm and yes the throttle was touchy after and yes it woke the truck up and there was a noticeable difference in a good way, none of this lack of power and egt stuff you speak of. I would get used to the touchyness it's really nice and you'll get used to it quick

the idle was dead on after the install. and at 3 clicks its touchy but a good touchy. at 4 it made it kinda a pain in the rear. not horrible and i could live with it but at 3 it seemed perfect. i think i exaggerated some when i said way to touchy. but no, i did not have to adjust the idle at 3 clicks.
thanks
pat

. i dont remember the exact fuel pressure but it was over 20 at idle at wot no load. i think i may just be chocking that stupid little turbo, may throw the 181's back in for a bit while i build my twins, just kind of scared to put them in as im not 100% sure on whats done to my trans. was told when i bought it but have no proof.
thanks!!
pat

So without giving you a grammar lesson, what was your fuel pressure.. 20 at idle, something is wrong. Mine runs 46 at idle, and over 50 on back-revs..
Never drops below 35 at WOT.
If your at 20 at idle, your sh!t at WOT.
Also, mine had an HY35 when I got it, not an HX, but it would only produce about 19#'s no matter what I did.. You've got a nice list started, and no turbo to back it...

i apologise for the grammer, or lack there of. im used to typing at work and i have to abbreviate everything and make it as fast as possible.

i do not recall what my fuel pressure was exactally. I think thats what it was, but again not 100% sure. i will have to try to get the time soon to check it again. i did order one of those tork tecknolagy ofv's last week. so hopfully it will be here soon. i was having a previous fuel pressure problem but had fixed it.

thank you, i sure like to think that i have a decent list going. and i do have a ht3b that was just re-built sitting on the bench waiting to go in. just havnt had the time to gather all the parts and start building. i am not going for a crazy amount of power, i just would like it to be a respectable amount.

i think my problem is that i am over fueling the turbo. i just wanted to ask to see if thats what anyone else thought or if i was way off line. more or less i was trying to see if maybe someone else had the same problem ever.

thank you guys again for helping. i really appreciate it.
pat

i apologise for the grammer, or lack there of. im used to typing at work and i have to abbreviate everything and make it as fast as possible.

i do not recall what my fuel pressure was exactally. I think thats what it was, but again not 100% sure. i will have to try to get the time soon to check it again. i did order one of those tork tecknolagy ofv's last week. so hopfully it will be here soon. i was having a previous fuel pressure problem but had fixed it.

thank you, i sure like to think that i have a decent list going. and i do have a ht3b that was just re-built sitting on the bench waiting to go in. just havnt had the time to gather all the parts and start building. i am not going for a crazy amount of power, i just would like it to be a respectable amount.

i think my problem is that i am over fueling the turbo. i just wanted to ask to see if thats what anyone else thought or if i was way off line. more or less i was trying to see if maybe someone else had the same problem ever.

thank you guys again for helping. i really appreciate it.
pat

Don't thank me, I don't know jack. It just looks like you have more fuel goodies than air goodies.
I can't see over-fueling the turbo (if that can happen) leading to what your describing. My truck will absolutely puke coal if I want it to, but it will never choke out, or give me sh!t at any throttle position. I think you still have a fuel pressure problem. Everyone balked at me running a FP guage on a 12v, but it's nice to know where things are. I know when my filter needs changed by the guage. I know when I have sh!t fuel by the guage. If the guage is normal, I know to look somewhere else. But yours doesn't sound normal. Until your new OFV arrives, pull the old one and stretch it a bit. I think I stretched mine 3/16-1/4. Then drive it and see about the pressure and the related driving issues.

Back