Air bag options???

mattdieselman

More Money
I have a 95 Dodge 3500 with no overloads and have been toying with air bagging the rear. I really love the ride of this truck and don't want to dick it up. I have been looking at PacBrake air bags, but they cannot be fully deflated. Minimum running pressure is 10 psi. Just curious if there is anyone that has PacBrake bags installed or any other manufacture. What are you like and dislikes. Thanks!

You should never deflate bags completely anyway.

You won't notice 10psi in the bags.
Chris

I installed pac-brakes in my 2008 2500 and so far they have been great. I also agree that you won't really notice 10psi. The only time I deflate mine is unhooking from the trailer for clearence and then air them right back up again.

I had a set on my old 02 2500 ECSB and the best thing I added for pulling my trailer and truck. They were also a set of pac brake's and ran 15 unloaded and 60 loaded. Rode like a car loaded and unloaded. Looking to add a set to my 12

Do you guys run them with cab control setup? I'm looking to run the cab setup with independent controls for each bag.

I always did either the dual control setup in the cab, or if the truck would be loaded more than empty, I run a single or dual leveling valve off a semi to inflate them or deflate them as the load required all automatically.

The leveling valve setup is awesome if the load changes a lot. You don't have to mess with it at all.
Chris

I always did either the dual control setup in the cab, or if the truck would be loaded more than empty, I run a single or dual leveling valve off a semi to inflate them or deflate them as the load required all automatically.

The leveling valve setup is awesome if the load changes a lot. You don't have to mess with it at all.
Chris

Yeah, I was thinking about the leveling valves that I have seen back in the day when I was doing semi chassis work. That setup works super slick as long as they dont get hit or cakes with snow & ice! Thanks for the input though. Just looking to see what some guys have done.

I ran firestone's. Hated how much just 10 lbs changed the ride. I plan on running them again. But I'll figure out a way to make them removable.

The Air Lift 5000-series (I think) have internal jounce bumpers (bump stops) so you can run them fully deflated and they also have a cool wireless remote you can use with presets and manual control. We did the system on a work truck F-350 a while back and he liked it a lot... But the compressor is kinda weak with the little tiny one, but it did work fine, just small compared to others... I think the Pac-Brake compressor was nicer...

I haven't installed a Pac-Brake air system, but have done their exhaust brake and it was a nice install with good parts and instructions. So I would imagine their air bag system to be of similar quality...

Last edited:
I ran Firestone bags on Airlift mounts on my 93 d250 with separate valves to level the loads I used to haul. When I get that far I plan to run them front and rear on my current project truck.

Air lift makes a real good set of bags and their wireless controller works great. At 10psi really wont affect the ride much.

When im not towing anything i pull the cores outta mine so they stay deflated. Been doing its for a couple years now.

Back