Any cops out there? ND Lift Law

madmikeismad

So mad
39-21-45.1. Modification of motor vehicle. Except as otherwise provided in this
section, a person may not operate upon a public highway a motor vehicle of a type required to be
registered under the laws of this state with a weight of seven thousand pounds
[3175.14
kilograms] or less with alterations or changes from the manufacturer's original design of the
suspension, steering, or braking system of the motor vehicle. The weight must be computed on
the basis of the unmodified and unloaded weight of the motor vehicle and without regard to any
ballast that may be placed in the vehicle. As to bumpers, motor vehicle height, and permitted
modifications, the following requirements also apply:

1. The motor vehicle must be equipped with front and rear bumpers.
2. The maximum body height permitted for the motor vehicle is forty-two inches
[106.68 centimeters]. Measurement of body height is made from a level ground
surface to the floor of the cargo area.
3. The maximum bumper height permitted is twenty-seven inches [68.58 centimeters].
Measurement of bumper height is made from a level ground surface to the highest
point on the bottom of the bumper.

WTF does that mean? Hell, I'm a cop, with 2 other cops looking over my shoulder, and we still can't figure that line out.

cant lift a truck or vehicle above the heights shown..

cant drive a bumperless 3/4 ton dodge around lifted,..
but you can start with a 4 door 1 ton ford..

I suggest you contact the tard that pushed for that bill and ask him.

7k unloaded and some medium duty trucks are illegal from the factory.

cant lift a truck or vehicle above the heights shown..

cant drive a bumperless 3/4 ton dodge around lifted,..
but you can start with a 4 door 1 ton ford..

Dude, you didn't make any sense either lol.

Whats the 7000lbs thing?

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that out. I emailed the generic DOT email address with that same part of the law, no repsonse, I'd be surprised if I ever hear from them.

it says changes from manufacturers original design.
a kodiak with a pickup bed 48" off the ground is legal because it is oem and over 7k rated truck.

Dude, you didn't make any sense either lol.

Whats the 7000lbs thing?
its what i do best, confuse people till they think i am right:D
the 7 klb thing i would assume is to keep people with jeeps, and half ton pickups and the like,from making them unsafe. but heavier vehicles are ok for some reason

Damn, I need to figure this out, so I know if I can argue with the cop next time. I don't get it. There's lifted trucks everywhere out here, I never hear about anyone else getting bothered.

If your vehicle is over 7K you can modify the suspension any way you want?

Under 7K you cannot??:blahblah1:

That's all I can come up with. I'm waiting on a response from DOT so I can print out a copy and keep it with me for next time I get stopped.

Damn, I need to figure this out, so I know if I can argue with the cop next time. I don't get it. There's lifted trucks everywhere out here, I never hear about anyone else getting bothered.

So, are you implying that you got hassled about this?

I'm going to bet that there are some restrictions on suspension modifications for the over 7,000lb weight class too, they just aren't covered by the same section of the law. They're probably also a bit more liberal since there are many suspension configurations available for the MDT and HDT market.

Its vague for a reason..

Not to mention..What Cop carry's around a set of scales?? Not me!!!

One of those laws I wouldn't worry about nor would I ( If I worked in your state ) worry about enforcing..

Mondster: Yeah, I was hassled a little bit. As far as lift, there is no limit for over 7k, I did confirm that. But the bumper height of 27inches might still apply. I'm at 31 right now.

Big Swole: I don't bother enforcing stff like that, unless it is obviously unsafe. But that's different.

So, what are my options for bumper height? Weld a second piece of steel to the frame that hangs down below my hitch? If I did that, I could even use it as a hook point for pulling!

One of those laws I wouldn't worry about nor would I ( If I worked in your state ) worry about enforcing..

I'm betting the cop was looking for something to pull him over for and check things out. The lift law fit the bill in this case.

I've been on the receiving end of several traffic stops like this when I was younger. I got pulled over for having a "loud" stereo (with no radio in the car, been pulled over for loud exhaust (with a stock muffler on it), the list goes on. All of them BS stops where the officer's only intent was to see what I was up to and if they could find something they could make stick. I screwed around a lot back then (I had some pretty quick street cars) so I'm guessing my reputation might have had something to do with it.

So, what are my options for bumper height? Weld a second piece of steel to the frame that hangs down below my hitch? If I did that, I could even use it as a hook point for pulling!

That's what most people I've talked to do in order to get around the problem. I'm a bit south of you and have seen a couple rolling around here set up like that so they must enforce it somewhat around here. They're on the old, junk trucks so I'm betting that they're getting targeted for a reason...

yes just make a bumper lower that is as strong as the factory bumper ( ie. not 2x4's of wood or the like, needs to be steel or the like) as long as the highest part of the bottom of the bumper is 27" or less your good. is written ike that so you cant just add a drop in the middle. as for the 7,000 its the GVWR. your 2500 diesel dodge is exempt

yes just make a bumper lower that is as strong as the factory bumper ( ie. not 2x4's of wood or the like, needs to be steel or the like) as long as the highest part of the bottom of the bumper is 27" or less your good. is written ike that so you cant just add a drop in the middle. as for the 7,000 its the GVWR. your 2500 diesel dodge is exempt

Thanks man. I'll just have to do that I guess.

Wait, you're saying I'm exempt from the bumper law too because of my gvwr? BTW, North Dakota decided to register my truck at 19,600, greedy pricks.

WTF does that mean? Hell, I'm a cop, with 2 other cops looking over my shoulder, and we still can't figure that line out.
If your a cop....shouldnt you get let go if you get pulled over by another cop??? thats how it typically works isnt it? :hehe:

I'm "only" an MP here. We still enforce local, state, and federal laws, along with our military laws. Civilian cops don't care though. But they expect all kinds of favors when they come on base here.

Gotcha. DMV just asked for gvwr and said they double it for trucks.

So bumper law does or doesn't apply to over 7000lbs?

Back