Anyone bought a cheap exhaust manifold before?

nrose07

I love high sulfur
So my stocker is cracked and looking at options. Everybody says they don't notice a difference with a 3 piece but a ported stock manifold people notice a difference. So I'm looking at a DAP and spending more then I want, a cummins manifold that is almost the same price as the 3 piece, or a cheap dorman/skp that I port match. Opinions?

Last edited:
Will make absolutely no difference in performance.
On a mild app

I wouldn't put a stock one back on if it was me. Im pretty sure the dps is a knockoff of the ats and seem to be decent. A friend of mine installs a lot of them for customers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Im not really sure why people feel the need to do a 3 piece on stock trucks, the stock manifold Lasted almost 20 years or more , just toss on a dorman one unless you plan on making some power with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine does have about 300k on it and it’s shrank up to where the bolts look like they should’ve snapped by now. That I think would be why people opt for 3 piece. Used aftermarket pretty easy to find.

it’s shrank up to where the bolts look like they should’ve snapped by now.

Exactly, stockers shrink. Has to do with the material they were made from. I can't find any right now, but I've seen pics of pieces broken off the head from EM shrinkage.

Exactly, stockers shrink. Has to do with the material they were made from. I can't find any right now, but I've seen pics of pieces broken off the head from EM shrinkage.

Ive seen it plenty on 12valves. Breaking the ears off the head, i just personally have seen way to many leaking 3 pieces, its steed speed or stock for me

My 3-piece ATS has been on for over 300K miles with no leaks, but my stocker had shrunk to the point I couldn’t put it back on when I removed it.

Think I'll try the Dorman with good mls gaskets, and port match it. Thanks for the reply's!

Well I got the cheap manifold, and then I ordered the DAP diesel auto power. Here's the pics that explain why.
8f9063171abbb0d23efb6895943c1a16.jpg

58865c351d08ac5f020f0cef943de332.jpg

dd6933f2174329e70ab62ba206581e3e.jpg

a487e26600192811579adbe39c68f588.jpg

7af82842e179315cf6e590e08dd6fcb9.jpg

4b9accd8c43877fd25dbcdcc8fcb39ce.jpg

DAMN that is rough! Thanks for putting those pics up, will keep this in the back of my mind.

Friend of mine bought a dorman for his 02 when the OEM failed at 300k+ miles. The dorman was not flat from flange to flange and leaked immediately. Very obvious with a decent straight edge across the flanges.

He went to a ATS 3pc and all was good. But I'm with downtownbrown, steedspeed or nothing for me. Those canadians know how to build a manifold.

To be fair this wasn't labeled a dorman, it was from rockauto. But they used the same pics and number as the dorman

Back