Auto trans Not shifting out of 1st

04cummin

I have a 98 24 Valve cummins with and auto. Mods are built trans, edge juice with attitude, intake, and exhaust. So my problem now is that the truck will not shift out of first. Also does not seem that the torque converter is locking up at all. Will not do more then about 25mph, and when you left off the throttle the thing coast like a normal auto would. Speedo also is not working at this time. Is this governor solenoid? or what do you guys think.

Either a solenoid or the speed sensor in the back of the tranny. Any codes?

Speedo reads off of the rear axle. I would swap the output shaft speed sensor first. Your trans needs to read output shaft speed for the PCM to pulse the govenor solenoid. Any other thing seem funny with the truck?

Had that happen once a couple years back. From what i understand if your speedo is not working to then i would automatically check the speed sensor. It like a $20 sensor located in the rear driver side part of the tranny that should get you back up and going.

When my gov solenoid went out it was stuck in first and almost felt like someone had the brakes on.

Governor pressure sensor (also called transducer) or the output speed sensor in the overdrive section as posted above... easy fix either way.

Lavon

what color is the fluid and how long has it been since you changed your filter? the gov and sensors int eh valve body have screens on them that can become clogged.

new tranny and fluid looks/ smells good. i havent checked code, but the ebrake light and abs light are "ON". So start off by trying a speed sensor in the tranny? Then possible a governor solenoid???
Does the tranny need to be pulled for the solenoid?

Ebrake light on and abs light on, it's either the speed sensor in the rear, or it became disconnected.... had to splice mine in for my D80 and it came lose once, same symptoms. Also found out my smarty wouldn't program the ECM with the speed sensor not workin...

Which sensor, the trans one or the one in the rear end. Hell I will just do them both. Thanks guys, I will let ya know tonight some results.

If I remember right, back when mine wouldn't shift out of 2nd, I replaced the selonoid and sensor in the tranny for under $100. But my memory could be wrong.

Not sure how much the sensor in the rear end is, but it can't be too much, or just find one at a junk yard.

Just an update. Speed sensor installed in trans. Truck runs and drives great again..... BUT the fkn speedo isnt working still. It will intermittently spike up to the correct speed then go away. Usually happens when I "romp" on it. Also abs and ebrake light are still on in the dash. Do I need to rest these? Is there a speed sensor in the rear end to????? I only see one sensor in the rear end and I figure it is for limited slip when shifted in to 4x4???? Anyway, I have been playing with the prongs on the trans shifter and still gettting no result. I used dielectic grease as well????
While the truck was down I also did the APPs ground relocated back into the cab. Relearned the apps, etc. Could this cause speedo problems?? Going out on a limb... This trucks problems is like *bdh*

when I look up the sensor on napa online, it only shows the one in the trans. Would the rear sensor be called something else. Maybe I can remove and clean it up a bit?

Dodge has the sensor and isn't over priced on it either from what I remember.

just pulled rear sensor, and get this woosh sound. Dam rear end vent is clogged or something, oil or i should say sludge is all over sensor. So I wiped it down, and then pull the fill plug to take a look. Oil is bubbly and thick. So I am going to pull cover, clean it all up, new oil. I will try the old sensor, and also check on prices tomorrow for a new one. One thing after another on this truck... its me vs it :stab:

On the speed sensors in the rear diff... Are there any aftermarket ones that would correct the speedometer for 37" tires? Maybe be able to kill two birds with one stone????

Nope if I remember superlift sells a box that you wire in and can adjust to any gear and tire size

On my 99' the speedo was intermittent when I bought it. I replaced the sensor in the rear end, I think it was $48 back in 2005. It didn't fix my problem. Then one day it rained and my speedo started working. Long story short, found out that the wires leading the sensor were mangled and chewed up near the fuel tank, looked like years of gravel roads had worn through the wire insulation.

After splicing in about 2 feet of new wire, it was fixed and hasn't been a problem in 5 years.

Back